Pale Rye Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMW

Reaction score
After drinking a Full Moon Pale Rye Ale from the Real Ale Brewing Company here in TX I've been toying with the idea of a Pale Rye Ale of my own. I don't know that my palate is good enough to do a proper clone but I might just take a stab at something along these lines:

Pale Rye Ale
------------
Brewer: MMW
Style: American Pale Ale
Batch: 5.50 galAll Grain

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.058 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 42 IBU
Recipe Color: 11° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.014
Alcohol by Volume: 5.6%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.4%

Ingredients
-----------
American two-row 9.50 lb, Grain, Mashed
Rye malt 2.00 lb, Grain, Mashed
Chocolate Rye 0.38 lb, Grain, Mashed

Cascade 0.75 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Willamette 0.75 oz, Pellet, 50 minutes
Willamette 0.75 oz, Pellet, 25 minutes
Cascade 0.75 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Willamette 0.25 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Cascade 0.25 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes

Mash somewhere around 150, probably Nottingham for the yeast.

Thoughts?

I'm probably a month out from brewing this, so no hurry :fro:

A good rye pale ale is my favorite beer to drink currently :) I wish you the best of luck! If it were me I'd go bigger with the rye, close to half the base grist even, and push some of the hops to later in the boil... as an example I'd want at least an ounce at flame-out. I'd most certainly want some hops between 20 minutes and flame-out, like 60 min, 20 at the earliest, then 10 or 5 and flameout. that's just my taste though, seems to be the best time to hop is 15 minutes and less. unless you're trying to subdue hop "flavor".

Cheers!

If it was mine I would add some cystal malt and like Budzu said increase the rye to around 3 lbs. I like the hop combo of Cascade and Williamette. I have been trying to increase the hop flavor on my last 2 beers so I have been heavily hopping at 20 -10 -0 in trying to get them as flavorfull as the local micros. The rye gets gummy so you might consider rice hulls to insure a good runoff.

Mine uses 70% 2 row, 20% Rye I also use use some crystal and wheat for a head that never ends. At first I wasn't a fan, but that dang Rye just grows on you. Now everytime I go for a brew I walk away with this beer. Good luck
:tank:

Mine uses 70% 2 row, 20% Rye I also use use some crystal and wheat for a head that never ends. At first I wasn't a fan, but that dang Rye just grows on you. Now everytime I go for a brew I walk away with this beer. Good luck
:tank:

Wheat, huh? Interesting- I don't tend to be a wheat guy so I tend to everlook it. I've been toying with the idea of little Carapils thrown in for the head but hadn't even considered the wheat. Something good to chew on Thanks.

Hops are in flux, as they always seem to be.

Hop schedule update:
0.75 Cascade Hops @ 50 min
0.75 Willamette Hops @ 40 min
0.75 Cascade Hops @ 20 min
0.75 Willamette Hops @ 15 min
0.5 Cascade Hops @ 10 min
0.5 Willamette Hops @ 5 min

Brewed this today. Here's what I finally went with:

1.054 OG, 44 IBUs,7 SRM

7 lbs Pale Malt (Brewers 2-row)
3 lbs Rye Malt
0.25 lbs American Crystal Malt 20
0.25 lbs American Crystal Malt 40
0.25 lbs American Crystal Malt 60

0.75 oz. Cascade Hops (7.5%) @ 60 min
0.5 oz. Willamette Hops (4.8%) @ 40 min
0.75 oz. Cascade Hops (7.5%) @ 20 min
0.75 oz. Willamette Hops (4.2%) @ 15 min
0.5 oz. Cascade Hops (7.5%) @ 10 min
0.75 oz. Willamette Hops (4.2%) @ 5 min

I gave up on the Chocolate Rye, so I went with a some layered crystal for depth. RWS of pacman going now, pitch tomorrow, and first samples in about 6 weeks.

Would not mind knowing how this brew came out if you can remember. Did you get the hop flavor you were looking for. My parents live in Texas now, picked up a six of the full moon rye pale ale over holiday and now I'm hooked on it.

It's been awhile since I brewed this, but I recall enjoying it. I think if I were doing it again, I'd omit the crystal in favor of some dark wheat.

Latest posts

Back