Types of Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbbrewer

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm planning on bottling up my cider today and wanted to check quick on types of bottles. I have some standard 12 oz beer bottles I plan to use, but I also have .5L glass cider bottles that the juice came in. They have twist on caps. Everything will be cleaned and sterilized and I plan on adding no priming sugar when I bottle.

Do you think those twist-cap .5L bottles will work? I think they will as I can seal them air tight and with no priming sugar there is no danger of bottle bombs.

Right?

Thanks

I've never bottled twist off bottles because I was scared away from it early on, but most people here say it is fine and you can get an air tight seal as long as you use a benchcapper.

I use plastic PET bottles for short term storage, not over 2 months. I just can't bring myself to trust them for longer.
For longer term storage for Meads and Ciders I use glass, heck those one gallon glass jugs work great. Why take any chances.

Back