American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys

I have a very slow fermentation on this batch. I've aerated just as much as I did on my previous brews, and the temperature has always been between 68 and 72 degrees.

Here is how it looks like after 10 days in the primary. It smells "green" if you know what I mean. The krauzen is at least 1 inch thick.

IMG_0108.jpg

Any suggessions on what to do? Should I leave it as it is and check in a week?

Any advice on working an oz of citra into this recipe? I found an extra oz in the freezer and was thinking about maybe a late addition or dryhop. I'm not too familiar with citra so any help would be appreciated.

I would do recipe as is then dry hop with the oz of citra. Yum yum

I used citra as a dry hop on one and the next used it at 10 min, flameout and dry. With one oz I would dry hop. It works really well with this. The 2nd one I did is my favorite beer I have made.

Brewed another 11 gal on Sat night. This was my 3rd iteration of this recipe. This time, the only change I made from the original was that I used C60 instead of C10 as that's what I had in stock and mashed at 156 (I specifically wanted a maltier version of this beer). I also opted for a 90 min boil. I was happy to see that I finally have my system dialed in. Hit volumes perfectly and ended with 11 gal at 1.054. The only problem that I am facing now is that my basement temp is lower than usual! The beer is fermenting at 59F. I am using US05, which I like fermenting cold, but I typically like to keep it just over 60.

hio3791 said:
Brewed another 11 gal on Sat night. This was my 3rd iteration of this recipe. This time, the only change I made from the original was that I used C60 instead of C10 as that's what I had in stock and mashed at 156 (I specifically wanted a maltier version of this beer). I also opted for a 90 min boil. I was happy to see that I finally have my system dialed in. Hit volumes perfectly and ended with 11 gal at 1.054. The only problem that I am facing now is that my basement temp is lower than usual! The beer is fermenting at 59F. I am using US05, which I like fermenting cold, but I typically like to keep it just over 60.

My latest batch of this is fermenting around 59f as well and also with us05. What exactly will the low fermentation temperature do to the beer? I also plan on dry hopping this one with an oz of mosaic. Should I move it to a warmer spot for the dry hop addition?

I almost exclusively use US05. I like to ferment as close to 60 as I can because this yeast strain can produce a very clean taste profile when fermenting cold. However, too cold and the yeast will go dormant. While some strains go dormant at slightly higher temps, I've never had problems going down to 60 with US05.

Moving to a warmer spot will not affect dry hop additions. It'll just take longer for the hops to drop down.

My latest batch of this is fermenting around 59f as well and also with us05. What exactly will the low fermentation temperature do to the beer? I also plan on dry hopping this one with an oz of mosaic. Should I move it to a warmer spot for the dry hop addition?

yes, you will get better aroma contributions from your dry hops closer to about 70 degrees.

Ok, sure sounds like ill be moving it! Thanks for the info and the speedy replies! Much appreciated!

Just sitting on the porch enjoying my last bottle of this recipe and remembering how much I like it. Definitely gonna have to brew this again soon!

I brewed the original recipe and it was fantastic. Now I want to brew it again but also want to tweak the hops a bit. I bought 3 oz. of Cascade and 2 oz. of Amarillo for a 11 gallon batch. What would be the best use of these? I was either thinking:

2 oz Cascade @ 60
.5 oz Amarillo @ 30
.5 oz Amarillo @ 15
1 Oz Cascade @ 5
Beer Smith IBU Calc - 37

Dryhop one of the 5.5 gallons with 1 oz. of Amarillo

or

2 oz Cascade @ 60
1 oz Amarillo @ 30
1 oz Amarillo @ 15
1 Oz Cascade @ 5
Beer Smith IBU Calc - 48

Is 48 IBU's too much for this malt bill?

I brewed the original recipe and it was fantastic. Now I want to brew it again but also want to tweak the hops a bit. I bought 3 oz. of Cascade and 2 oz. of Amarillo for a 11 gallon batch. What would be the best use of these? I was either thinking:

2 oz Cascade @ 60
.5 oz Amarillo @ 30
.5 oz Amarillo @ 15
1 Oz Cascade @ 5
Beer Smith IBU Calc - 48

or

2 oz Cascade @ 60
1 oz Amarillo @ 30
1 oz Amarillo @ 15
1 Oz Cascade @ 5
Beer Smith IBU Calc - 48

You could try splitting the 2 oz of Amarillo and do an ounce at FWH and an ounce at 60. Just a thought...

2 oz Cascade @ 60
.5 oz Amarillo @ 30
.5 oz Amarillo @ 15
1 Oz Cascade @ 5
Beer Smith IBU Calc - 48

or

2 oz Cascade @ 60
1 oz Amarillo @ 30
1 oz Amarillo @ 15
1 Oz Cascade @ 5
Beer Smith IBU Calc - 48

Ed's original recipe calls for 39 IBU's - to me 48 is a bit much for this recipe, but I'm not a hop-head, either...

Thanks for the reply. I found a typo in my original post...when using the first scenario I would get to 39 which as you said matches the original bitterness. I wanted to impart some of the Amarillo hop aroma and flavor therefore I was leaning towards using it later into the boil.

You could also drop the 30 minute addition and move it within the last 15 minutes. That what I did when I added citra.

Just brewed up the partial mash version of this recipe. OG clocked in at 1.052, and I'm pretty close to 6 gal. Followed the recipe pretty exact, with an addition of .25 lb flaked wheat to the grains. Stuck it in my brand new ferm chamber and am stoked to see what all the hype is about!

This weekend i am brewing a modified extract batch of this using Gold & Maris Otter malt syrup in conjunction w/ Australia Helga Hops and WLP009 Australian Ale yeast. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

This weekend i am brewing a modified extract batch of this using Gold & Maris Otter malt syrup in conjunction w/ Australia Helga Hops and WLP009 Australian Ale yeast. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

So...how is this anything like this recipe? Sounds like you've literally changed every ingredient, thus it is your recipe now haha.

Leipzig said:
the next time i lean on someone else's recipe and get excited about brewing i will just keep it to myself.

Don't do that. A great part of this hobby is toying with recipes. You will still have a drinkable brew no matter what IMO. Keep us posted how your variation turns out. The above poster is right tho, nothing like the original...but who cares? I just brewed biermunchers centennial but instead of doing a 55 minute I did Fwh. Why? I don't know, it seems like the cool thing to do these days. I guess my point is have fun, experiment, and who knows, your variation could turn out to be the best beer ever brewed!

Sigh...
5 gallons of this will probably get dumped.
I never quite got it to really boil with my crappy stove.
So it is totally my (stove's) fault.
Now I have a heatstick.
It tastes like DMS (I think).
Very unpleasant. Should have known. Tasted like crap in the hydrometer samples every time...
Sucks.
I will try again though.

Brewed on 3/18. Fermented 70F for 13 days, crash cooled in secondary to 38F for 4 days, threw in gelatin on forth day and kegged on the 7th. Been on the gas now for 12 days. Drew first pint tonight, and must say it cleared very well, and is a very nice beer. Thanks for the recipe! I've got My second batch of BierMunchers Centennial Blonde in bottles conditioning. Not sure which I like better - now I've got 5 gals of each to compare. Maybe I can make a decision on which is better soon, but is that really important?

Finally yesterday I tasted this wonderful beer.
Soooooooo good!

Thank you so much for the recipe!

I just graduated to AG from extract, and this was my first brew! We did it BIAB, and made an album. Just thought I'd post a thank you for the recipe!

P.S. does anyone know if I should leave the hops in when transferring to the primary? I usually strain them out; but would it impart more hop aroma and flavor if I left the in and then strained at bottling?

notfound said:
I just graduated to AG from extract, and this was my first brew! We did it BIAB, and made an album. Just thought I'd post a thank you for the recipe!

P.S. does anyone know if I should leave the hops in when transferring to the primary? I usually strain them out; but would it impart more hop aroma and flavor if I left the in and then strained at bottling?

Strain them before transferring to the primary. The boil used up all the goodness from the hops and the fermentation would most likely drive off any residual goodies. Plus, I like to limit the amount of trub that I dump into my fermentors. After the fermentation is done you can dryhop to add the hop aroma to the beer.

Brewed this up today. I was a little off on my OG, 1.044, but it all went pretty well! My second AG batch! Can't wait to try it!!

Bluelinebrewer said:
Brewed this up today. I was a little off on my OG, 1.044, but it all went pretty well! My second AG batch! Can't wait to try it!!

In sure it will be great. The first time I brewed this recipe my OG was right around there. My FG was a little lower than the original recipe also because I had a hard time controlling the mash temp and ended up mashing at a pretty low temp. All in all it was my best batch.

Still sipping on my first batch of this one.. A great and easy drinking brew! Will definitely make this one again.

Nice tall glass... gotta get me one of those. What internal temperature did you keep the primary at? I'm still trying to figure out what I should be aiming for.

24 days later I am enjoying my 3rd iteration of this beer. I suppose 3rd time's a charm because this is the best tasting version yet. Only changes I made was that I used C60 and mashed at 156F. I used gelatin for the first time and I am pleased with the results. 3 pints pulled and the beer is crystal clear! This is a great APA!

Been fermenting for 13 days now. I want to keg this badly so I can drink with some buddies on Sunday, but I know it'll be better if I wait to keg another week and wait to drink it another 2. Sigh!

Back