New at mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy_84

Reaction score
I have made wine off and on for a while now. But the wife is getting more into mead. So being a good husband I told her I would give it a shot on making a 5 gallon batch just for her. So I started looking around and have acquired about 20lbs of strawberries. So is there anyone out there with a good strawberry mead recipe. Also I have no idea what type of honey to use this will be my first at mead.

Theres many recipes here and over at gotmead that might help.

Type of honey depends on to many things to suggest a varietal of some sort, plus they're limited in availability here. Historically there would have been no such thing as a varietal, which came about mainly through the US farming practices of large area of monoculture (mainly). So I'd just suggest wild flower honey, and raw at that if you can find some.

You have to decide how much strawberry flavour you want and whether its the less familiar fermented taste or as much of the traditional fruit flavour as possible.....

Don't do anything stupid like pureeing the fruit either you just need to freeze it, then thaw it before adding it (and the juice/flavouring that comes out as it defrosts).

To max the flavour the fruit goes in secondary generally or for a fermented taste in primary. You will likely need pectic enzyme too.

fatbloke said:
Theres many recipes here and over at gotmead that might help.

Type of honey depends on to many things to suggest a varietal of some sort, plus they're limited in availability here. Historically there would have been no such thing as a varietal, which came about mainly through the US farming practices of large area of monoculture (mainly). So I'd just suggest wild flower honey, and raw at that if you can find some.

You have to decide how much strawberry flavour you want and whether its the less familiar fermented taste or as much of the traditional fruit flavour as possible.....

Don't do anything stupid like pureeing the fruit either you just need to freeze it, then thaw it before adding it (and the juice/flavouring that comes out as it defrosts).

To max the flavour the fruit goes in secondary generally or for a fermented taste in primary. You will likely need pectic enzyme too.

Very glad to hear another meadmaker willing to take on the sacred cow of varietal honey! I'm a beekeeper who's very natural about what I do, and varietal honey is (mostly) unnatural.

By the way, why don't you purée?

Back