3 gallon brew ...did I add enough hops??? Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphopaim5

Reaction score
first time doing an all extract brew. I am trying to make a honey brown stlye beer on a budget. i am starting to think i did not add enough hops to the wort. this is my recipe. Got a little bored of using extract kits. and I just wanted to try something different and went out on a limb. Should this batch turn out OK or should dry hop during the secondary or add more hops to the primary? BTW this is a 3.5 gallon batch. Thank in advance for al you guy's help!!!!!:mug:

the OG was 1.66 (temp was 70 degrees)
1 lbs honey malt
1.lbs carmel 120
2. lbs ambler dme
14 oz molassas
1lbs brown sugar
london ale yeast
1oz fuggles

Did you boil the fuggles for a full hour? If so, I would add another oz in secondary for 3 days or so just for an aroma kick. That's just me though, I love hops.

Nothing says you must hop your beer. 1oz fuggles boiled for 60min should contribute just enough bitterness in this small batch, especially for a honey brown ale. Taste it when primary fermentation is done and decide then if you need some hop aroma.

after calculating the Ibu for the batch has 12 Ibu. Is this low for my style of beer or should Idry hop this during the secondary? if so any recommendations on hops?

12 IBU is a bit low. But dry hopping will give you little to no additional bitterness, mostly aroma and some flavor. Check out this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/dry-hopping-bitterness-2369

While it is very easy to make your beer overly bitter, you could make a bittering extract by boiling hops in water for an hour, and add this to increase the bitterness. Although this is probably not worth it in this case.

Part of me feels that the bitterness will not be as noticeable as you might hope. You are using a lot of "sweet" ingredients in your brew. Honey malt, Car 120, molasses, brown sugar. Even though the yeast will ferment the majority of the brown sugar and the molasses, it will still leave behind some sweet elements of those ingredients (not including the sweetness added by the car 120 and honey malt). The yeast will not be able to convert all those dextrin sugars.

Never-the-less, I am assuming that you were hoping for a beer that is more on the sweet side because you picked these ingredients. If you want to secondary ferment for hop aroma then go ahead, but don't expect the bitterness to get much higher than what it is right now.

IBU is just a guideline. Bitterness is relative to the amount of sweetness in the beer. I agree with the other posters that you should use a calculator next time just to be more accurate. Bottom line, this batch of beer should still turn out okay, it will just be on the sweet side

Thanks so much for all the details I think I am going to try dry hopping this batch. I'm going to keep everyone updated... in almost a week in...fermentation its looking very strong. Looking good so far.

Back