Anyone ever used WLP080 Cream Ale for Blonde Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrank85

Reaction score
Recipe is as follows:

American Blonde Ale
5 Gallon Batch

6# American 2-Row
3# Maris Otter
4oz Cara-Pils

4.9%-5.2% predicted abv

FWH .25oz Centennial
15min .5oz Centennial
1min 1oz Centennial

22 ibu

150F Mash for 75min

Debating on using a lower mash @ 148F and doing (WLP008) East Coast Ale, maybe going 152F and doing Cream Ale, or stick with my original thought and go with (WLP001) California Ale which ive used for a blonde ale before and had good results. Any thoughts or experiences with the other yeasts in any ales would be appreciated.

I used WLP080 for a dry stout recently because that was all I had in my fridge. It ended up so clean (like that yeast does) and smooth. It's probably about the most quaffable stout ever. I'm not so sure I'd use it again in a stout just because it doesn't really match the style, but I'm definitely a fan of WLP080 and using it all over the place. Especially for easy drinkin' beers.

Yes.

I've used this yeast exclusively for Blonde Ales for nearly 15 batches. It ferments best a little on the cool side (62F). It's a hybrid strain that can handle a wide range. If you ferment closer to 70F you may get more fruity characters. Lower is a cleaner beer.

One nice characteristic is that the beer clears quickly at 36F. I can turn batches around quickly in the summer months. The beer is very popular among friends.

Brew on!

I have used the WLP080 in an American Brown ale and so far so good. I will never use the East coast yeast again I did not like the tart flavor.

I used a slurry from a previous batch for the stout I mentioned above. Turned out great. I hadn't really thought about the whole blend thing. I'll be buying some again for a few upcoming batches so it will be interesting to see if the characteristics change at all from batch to batch.

Latest posts

Back