Blue bottles, yay or nay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoMNTwins

Reaction score
I'm considering bottling conditioning an ale in blue bottles. I'm not sure, however, if the blue glass will have any kind of effect on the final product, is there anything I need to be aware of?

I see no issues with blue bottles per se. Similar light blocking levels as brown, maybe not quite as much, but keep the bottles out of light while storing.

My only concern is of global conservationism. Do you know how many Smurfs die every year to get the blue into the glass? The world Smurf population has hit a low since blue glass was introduced in the mid 1800's. Please, think of the Smurfs.

;)

I know in Pennsylvania blue bottle are on the cheep since Penn State issued Nittany Ale a cease and desist. My local shop was selling them for 5 bucks a case to get rid of them.

im sorry but I dont buy into the whole sunlight stuff.... I drink coronas all day out in the hot summer sun and the beer tastes fine unless piss warm but any beer will taste bad if its been sitting out in the sun.... Same goes for budlight, that comes in a brown bottle and I can drink that all day out in the sun.... I dont see what the difference is if it were a blue bottle also... I say go for it... My vote in YAY!!!!!!!!!!

I tend to keep ALL of my bottles in the dark, no matter the color, until I serve them.

And for a while I too thought that the world needed to be mindful of The Smurfs and their environment. Until that day Jokey Smurf left that present on my doorstep.

I tend to keep ALL of my bottles in the dark, no matter the color, until I serve them.

And for a while I too thought that the world needed to be mindful of The Smurfs and their environment. Until that day Jokey Smurf left that present on my doorstep.

Don't judge a whole villiage just because of a few extremists. ;)

I know in Pennsylvania blue bottle are on the cheep since Penn State issued Nittany Ale a cease and desist. My local shop was selling them for 5 bucks a case to get rid of them.

I bought a case of these blue bottle from Midwest, they are cool. Just to be different kind of thing.

Back