would you boil with this? Wondering if this could be causing me trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was taking some measurements tonight and noticed how nasty the inside of the weld job looked. This is my boil kettle. Do you think this is bad or something to worry about?

P1050565.JPG

P1050566.JPG

It's just a little bit of "sugaring" on a stainless weld. I wouldn't hesitate to use it. If it bothers you, scrub it with a bit of Bar Keeper's Friend.

It'd be a different story if it were a fermenter.

Dude, You are right that looks nasty. Like a fat chick in a sports car! You could always grind it off and put on a weldless. Just a thought or take it to a machine shop. Best of luck!

Thanks, I actually paid $25 to have this welded on :mad: I have been using it for a while but I guess I didn't look that close because I don't remember it looking like that. I may scrub it up with some barkeepers friend like Yuri says.

my HLT and MLT will have weldless fittings on them.

I wish my current BK looked that good... I've been using it for a while with no problems.
I'm in the process of building a new system and currently looking for someone to do the welding so it doesn't happen again.

At this point the acidic wort has removed the soluble iron from the surface and other than cosmetic appearance it's ok. If you having troubles with cleaning, a bit of time and a couple dremel grind wheels, you can cut the sugaring back to base metal again, then apply a paste of BKF and leave it for a day or two to repassivate.

Back