Apfelwein mistake, too much sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toivo

Reaction score
Mixed up a 3 gallon batch yesterday and today I realized I put too much sugar in it. I put 1# 14 oz. and should have put in 19oz. Question is what to do with this batch. One though is put in a primary with 2 more gallons of juice and then transfer back to 3 gallon carboy along with 2 one gallon carboys. Second is let it go and when I bottle it rack into a primary with 2 gallons of juice and then bottle to dilute. Any thoughts on what to do with it?

I would say that the first option would be the best way to go if you are stuck on keeping it to style. If it were me I would just call it bootleg cider and drink the hell out of it. However, you might want to warn people of the alcohol content before serving. I would stick with 12oz bottles because much more than that and they will be partied out after one bottle.

Edit: If you do keep it full strength I would be sure to carbonate it, seems to take the edge off of it.

Back