growth bud gone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3uerger

Reaction score
The biggest willamette in the picture got it's growth bud chewed off by something was thinking of cutting it out. any thoughts:rockin:
Image005.jpg

i was just wondering if i should remove the big one without a growth bud, not going to train them for a little while yet

I say do not cut it, especially if it's a first year plant. The bine, as a whole, looks none the worse for wear, and those leaves are providing the plant with necessary energy. Who knows? If the plant finds it necessary, it might send out another bine from the one that was cut.

Chris

I say do not cut it, especially if it's a first year plant. The bine, as a whole, looks none the worse for wear, and those leaves are providing the plant with necessary energy. Who knows? If the plant finds it necessary, it might send out another bine from the one that was cut.

Chris
It is a first year plant (jumbo from freshhops) you make a fair point. i suppose if it doesn't grow a new shoot the other bines will out grow it in no time making any shading a non-issue.

then again arn't you only supposed to select the best 2 bines for training anyway?
:drunk:

I had the tip nipped off of a glacier that I had, at the time it was the fastest growing hop, it slowed way down and now it 4 new shoots from the leaf joints further down. Soon it re-claimed it spot as the leader of the pack. I think that the decapitation forced the plant to spend more energy on the roots for a few weeks.

-ander

Back