I'm in! Bought grinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibby33

Reaction score
:ban:
Well cover me in flour and bake me for forty minutes if they didn't have a grinder up at the LHBS when I strolled up there at lunchtime! Payday was today and I walked back to work with a heavy than normal load. Thanks Amanda (Who I assume reads this forum!).

Now for this obsession to REALLY take off. Apparently I need to learn to weld! This will not be an issue.

I got me some reading to do... Prep yourselves for some questions!!! I need to source grain also which may be tricky in this lovely wee island that I am currently floating around on.

Yeeeeeehaaaaaa...

now, just to tell the wife...

n045.gif

zippo.bmp

great work

All of these years I thought I was really missing something being single. Finding true love, having children, spreading my seed and ensuring the family name.... I love the idea of it all. But then the mere thought of a wife keeping my ass in check on homebrewing investments scares me straight.

I think I have a problem...

'Atta boy.

Didn't you say you have a dismal brew cellar? Something that maybe a woman wouldn't want to go down into? If she ever did go down there, you could say, 'That old thing? Well you wouldn't let me buy a proper one, so I had to make do with this piece of crap.' She wouldn't know the difference.

Fingers said:
'Atta boy.

Didn't you say you have a dismal brew cellar? Something that maybe a woman wouldn't want to go down into? If she ever did go down there, you could say, 'That old thing? Well you wouldn't let me buy a proper one, so I had to make do with this piece of crap.' She wouldn't know the difference.

The brew cellar has had a bit of work done on it. I have removed a pillar from the middle of the "room" and put a dirty big steel lintel on the beam. Opened it right up. Since moving in I have also ripped out all the old shelves and workbenches and fitted new ones. I have huge shelves made of old doors to store beer bottles and barrels on and about another 5m x 10m of storage space. Add to that the two fridges, tv, dvd recorder, ezyboy recliner I am seldom out of there! i shall need to take some photos. I am moving in baby, oh yeah (kramer stylie). Slowly but surely I will basically have a flat downstairs. Toilet is the issue but the lemon tree is looking very healthy ;)

oh, and Brew Alchemy, I thought the same. :mug:

olllllo said:
Grinder.

Those NJ boys are going to ask you if you prefer cappicola or genoa.

+1 to Bobby's no Grinders around here. They're subs..

Also, for further edification, cappicola is pronouned Gabba-ghoul if you're a North Jersey Italian.

While I'm at it..
Gah-va-deal, Mana-gut, Rih-gut, Muhtsa-dell and the most irritating of them all, Gah-la-mod.

hmmm.

Eastern PA. Thanks for the clarification.

dibby my apologies of the jack.

When I got my mill I wanted to grind grain all day just to have that wonderful smell.

When I got my mill I wanted to grind grain all day just to have that wonderful smell.

I was just thinking about that last night when I crushed the grain for my SNPA. Wow I love it..... the grain is like bread dough with yeast in it, even after 36 years of brewing I still can't get enough.

Last night I put the kids to bed, fed the dog and went down to my cellar. Cracked a homebrew, put on seinfeld on the tv, dimmed the lights and lost my grinding virginity. I feel whole now. The taste, the smell. So sweet...

Not going to attach a drill just now as I am getting to *cough* get to know my grinder and how to make happy grit.

Will build a grinding station this weekend.

Now all I need is :
Big pot
Two plastic buckets
Spigot
esky
a tonne of grain
yeast
time...

janzik said:
+1 to Bobby's no Grinders around here. They're subs..

Also, for further edification, cappicola is pronouned Gabba-ghoul if you're a North Jersey Italian.

While I'm at it..
Gah-va-deal, Mana-gut, Rih-gut, Muhtsa-dell and the most irritating of them all, Gah-la-mod.

The irony is that none of these are actual Italian pronunciations...it's some Americanized Italian thing going on.

dibby33 said:
Last night I put the kids to bed, fed the dog and went down to my cellar. Cracked a homebrew, put on seinfeld on the tv, dimmed the lights and lost my grinding virginity. I feel whole now. The taste, the smell. So sweet...

The key to a long and happy relationship is communication. Talk to your grinder and tell it how you feel. Right now it's all giggles and grinding, but it takes work to make grist in the long run. Take it out once in a while and buy it a shiny new hopper. Tell it how nice it looks, how round its rollers are. Just a little bit of effort will go a long way.

Fingers said:
The key to a long and happy relationship is communication. Talk to your grinder and tell it how you feel. Right now it's all giggles and grinding, but it takes work to make grist in the long run. Take it out once in a while and buy it a shiny new hopper. Tell it how nice it looks, how round its rollers are. Just a little bit of effort will go a long way.

I had best remember the day we met. That is a main one. ...I saw her lovingly across the shop floor, her box tight with a picture of what awaited me inside printed on two of the four sides. Carried home on my back and then hand carried across the threshold of her new home. She will never leave me, and I her.

dibby33 said:
I had best remember the day we met. That is a main one. ...I saw her lovingly across the shop floor, her box tight with a picture of what awaited me inside printed on two of the four sides. Carried home on my back and then hand carried across the threshold of her new home. She will never leave me, and I her.

Heh. Tight box. Men are such pigs.

Fenster said:
OK, I'll bite....what's an esky?

Oh, and congrats on losing your virginity!

An esky (from the word Eskimo) is a cooler. Blue, plastic and normally found full of ice and beer at the beach / bbq / mates house / back of ute / front seat of ute / garage / shed...

dibby33 said:
It was! Double cardboarded and I had to kinda pry off the outer wrapper. :D

Yeah, you always have to do that the first time, but after that it just falls off at the drop of a hat.

+1 to that. No grinders here. Hoagies or Subs.

Dibby33, that grinders a 'dead set rippah'

Congrats on a smart investment.

You'll save a ton of money cuz all homebrewing is about saving money....;)

Anyway...nice going.

PS - you just reminded me that I have 190 pounds of various base malt out in my car I need to carry in.

It's gonna be a "grind"alicious weekend for sure... :ban:

Monday is D-Day, or should that be G-Day.

Working 7 days in a row. Got 2 off without kids (they will be in childcare as normal).
...now I just need two BIG buckets

Update : Got the buckets. Drilled fecking a million holes in one.

:( Youngest kidlet got a cold and will be staying at home with me for the next two days. Bugger, plans of mice and men and all that. Will aim for creating an esky with a tap. That is the plan. Oh and apelwein :rockin:

Yesterday I cranked it up. Starting small - just 400g of crystal malt addition. Stuck it in a hop bag in a pan of cold water. Brought this to just below boiling and removed the bag. Smelt good. Finally used some grains!!!! Now to use more grains and get serious.

oh and made the apfelwine. Pear and apple juice.

Back