SLOWLY building a new brewstand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne1

Reaction score
I haven't brewed in about 6 years. I lent my kettle and burners to a guy who since moved away. With MY gear :mad:

I have been lurking about on this site and leeching up information about the current state of homebrewing tech. I have been in touch with a few members who have been very helpful to this old fart.

I ordered 3) Banjo burners to start on a brewstand project. They showed up today.

IMG_0765.JPG

I picked up a converted keg from a LHBS. I also received some stainless fiittings and valves. I got a couple of sight glasses from Bobby M. I intend to use my old Gott as a mash tun, for now. I have another converted keg to use as a HLT.

A great deal of thanks to Bobby M for answering a lot of questions from an old noob. I followed his directions for polishing up a keg and it finally worked out very well.

I most likely won't be able to get my brewstand built for another month, but I will be lurking about here, desperately wanting to be able to brew again.

Thanks again for all the kindness.

Thanks for the comment.

I picked up a 4" angle grinder from Harbor Freight for about $10.00 on sale. I bought the suggested polishing pads from Lowes.

This is a good way to become one with your keggle ;)

I guess I spent a good 6 hours with various levels of pads to get it to this level of shiny.

I should have enough pads to polish up my other keg. More pictures to follow.

yes, your keggle does look good....I am in need to go get pads myself to polish mine as well, I need a little bling in my life.

And I wouldn't worry about the questions, I've asked way too many already

What pads do you guys recommend using? I would like to bling up my keggles too

Wayne1 said:
Thanks for the comment.

I picked up a 4" angle grinder from Harbor Freight for about $10.00 on sale. I bought the suggested polishing pads from Lowes.

This is a good way to become one with your keggle ;)

I guess I spent a good 6 hours with various levels of pads to get it to this level of shiny.

I should have enough pads to polish up my other keg. More pictures to follow.

The kegs definitely shine up nice. Does the inside get the same treatment... :cross:

processhead said:
The kegs definitely shine up nice. Does the inside get the same treatment... :cross:

I was thinking the same thing but then thought... How would I clean the inside after a nice long boil without scratching all my hard work? (yeah, like mine are even welded yet! HA!!!)

I did not polish the inside.

I can just see me slitting my wrists on the edge of the hole cut in the top whilst trying to hold onto a grinder spinning at 11,000 rpm :rolleyes:

Wayne1 said:
I did not polish the inside.

I can just see me slitting my wrists on the edge of the hole cut in the top whilst trying to hold onto a grinder spinning at 11,000 rpm :rolleyes:

wait a second, does BM have a second account on here? I thought he was the only one with a fugly keggle that can slit wrists ;)

98EXL said:
wait a second, does BM have a second account on here? I thought he was the only one with a fugly keggle that can slit wrists ;)

omg.... slit wrists.... you mean carve them up! I would fear putting my hands in it for fear of slightly catching the edge and losing the whole arm. :p ;) :drunk:

Back