Primary For Six Weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpollock

Reaction score
I cooked up my first batch about six weeks ago, and have been incredibly busy since then, so the beer is still sitting in the primary. I've checked on it a couple times and it looks/smells great, but is that much time on the yeast going to cause any off-flavors or other issues?

Thanks.

Maybe.

I answered that way because none of us were there with you or can answer questions like were there any temperature fluctuations? Was it in the dark the entire time? Did the airlock become empty at any time? etc. :confused:

But, the real test is in the drinking. Does it taste good? Is it clear (should be). Then bottle it and enjoy. ;)

bpollock said:
is that much time on the yeast going to cause any off-flavors or other issues?

From what I understand, autolysis gives off an unmistakeable sewer-gas smell. So if your beer still smells OK, it shouldn't be an issue (I've left a batch or two in primary that long with no trouble).

As long as everything else hb_99 mentioned was OK, it's probably good. Any number of HBT members can test samples, if you'd like. :mug:

1) Temperature fluctuations were minimal...it ranged from about 63-67 degrees.

2) As the bucket was in a closet, it was kept in complete darkness.

3) Airlock always had fluid in it...started out as water then I switched to O2 based sanitizer when I realized I wasn't going to have time to move it.

As I'm shooting for a hoppy strong ale, it still needs to be dry hopped. I'll throw some hops in for a couple weeks, bottle it, wait a few months, and hope for the best.

Thanks!

I'd guess that it will be fine as long as you don't let it sit on that yeast cake much longer. Go ahead and dryhop it then get that sucker in bottles asap.

autolysis gives off an unmistakable sewer-gas smell

I can verify this. Left a cake out on the back porch for about 4 months ... in the summer ... with the lid on.

I'm going to say you should be fine. I doubt autolysis has occurred in only 6 weeks and it sounds like you did everything right. I'd bet the extra time will actually make it taste better.

bigjohnmilford said:
If you have a carboy you should rack it over and then dry hop. It'll get it off the yeast cake.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that...I'm racking it to my carboy and dry-hopping tonight. :)

bpollock said:
Yeah, I forgot to mention that...I'm racking it to my carboy and dry-hopping tonight. :)

sounds like you're covered. enjoy your beer. make sure you get yourself a sample when you rack it. :mug:

Ok, not sure how much help I can offer here, but I was curious as to what you thought on several months in a primary? I'm leaving for several months without access to my carboy and wanted to know if I should even bother brewing if I can't handle it in that time.

This should probably been started as a new thread. However, if you have the time and equipment you should leave the beer in secondary rather than primary for an extended period of time. If you have a couple weeks, brew it and transfer over after a week or two. Also, you should brew something big that will benefit from extended aging such as a barley wine or imperial something or other

david_42 said:
I can verify this. Left a cake out on the back porch for about 4 months ... in the summer ... with the lid on.

:D

I was going to refer to your infamous story. Iirc, you mentioned that it is one of those things that once you smell it you never forget it.

Latest posts

Back