What do yall think i should backsweeten my apfelwein with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezzellca

Reaction score
Too many things I want to try. I have...

Dextrose, regular sugar, honey and brown sugar. If i do choose to use one of the sugars should i make a simple syrup with water, or perhaps melt the sugar in apple juice? I was planning on a dextrose simple syrup for simplicity, but would one of the others be more delicious?

If it is still and you are backsweetening, make sure to stabilize first, and you can use any of the above.

Personally, I would use none of those and go buy some cheap apple juice concentrate, it retains more apple flavor that blend well with apple wines. Otherwise, honey is good. As for the rest they will work but you should melt them in just a bit of water and stir in so it will blend well.

If it is sparkling, then things get more complicated. Still possible, but complicated.

Yeah its still, and I stabilized this morning. I cant get concentrate, i live in beijing. The best i can get is juice.

I actually ended up melting dextrose into apple juice. I added maybe 50ml to the whole batch.

My friend from a small town outside frankfurt drank 2 liters of it in one night and he and his wife both said it was better than the apfelwein in Germany. Quite the compliment.

Two of my wifes friends offered to buy 6 bottles at 30 bucks a bottle. I of course turned this offer down. Again a great compliment.

Thanks for everyone who helped with my mods (sweetening + oaking. I used a different yeast too if anyone is interested.)to this recipe. Next step, making it even better!

I didnt use a lot of the syrup i made. Maybe 100 ml for the whole batch. I forgot and forgot to write it down. I took a few 100ml samples of my wine and added different amounts of the syrup to determine how much I wanted. I then subtracted a little and scaled up to 16 liters, to account for racking, learning math in america, and drunkeness.

It ended up tasting just like the sample my wife and i liked the best. You cant taste the sweetness, it just cut the bitterness a smidge and highlighted the tartness.

If you let it sit for a year, it's awesome dry as heck and with no backsweetening. Just my $0.02.

Back