Yeast cake looks like cooked ground beef ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WileECoyote

Reaction score
Hello, After 2 weeks in primary I transferred my 5th brew to secondary yesterday and I was kinda surprised when I popped the lid off, it looked like some of the Krausen hadn't gone back into the beer (first time for that), I thought no big deal but was a little surprised and transferred it, Then when I got to the bottom I was even more surprised, The yeast cake looked just about like cooked ground beef (first time for that too), I just read where if you wash and re-use your yeast (I did wash and re-use yeast) it could leave the floaties on top, but I couldn't find anything about the yeast cake looking like cooked ground beef, and it really looked just like cooked ground beef, so I thought Id ask your opinion on this, have any of you seen this in your brews? :confused:

Never a dull moment brewing lol
WiliECoyote

Hello, After 2 weeks in primary I transferred my 5th brew to secondary yesterday and I was kinda surprised when I popped the lid off, it looked like some of the Krausen hadn't gone back into the beer (first time for that), I thought no big deal but was a little surprised and transferred it, Then when I got to the bottom I was even more surprised, The yeast cake looked just about like cooked ground beef (first time for that too), I just read where if you wash and re-use your yeast (I did wash and re-use yeast) it could leave the floaties on top, but I couldn't find anything about the yeast cake looking like cooked ground beef, and it really looked just like cooked ground beef, so I thought Id ask your opinion on this, have any of you seen this in your brews? :confused:

Never a dull moment brewing lol
WiliECoyote

No. I've never seen that. You're doing some funky stuff. There's nothing wrong with doing funky stuff, but I preferred doing basic stuff first then matriculating to the more adventurous stuff. Without the basics, you really have no experience on which to draw when you're making decisions like how to re-use grain, re-use yeast, etc.

That's my .02. Good luck with the ground beef thing.

So? Fermentation is ugly. And different yeasts look different. More than likely if it looked like that on the bottom, it looked like that on the top as well.

I've seen krausens that look liker ears. Or brains.

It really doesn't matter what something looks like, only what something tastes like.

I wouldn't worry too much about what the trub looked like. That's going to change depending on what kind of beer you made, your process, and what kind of yeast you used. As long as the beer tastes good, that's all that matters.

I've had that happen. Beers turned out fine. My working theory is that escaping CO2 "fluffs" the yeast cake up and makes it look lumpy and ripply.

No. I've never seen that. You're doing some funky stuff. There's nothing wrong with doing funky stuff, but I preferred doing basic stuff first then matriculating to the more adventurous stuff. Without the basics, you really have no experience on which to draw when you're making decisions like how to re-use grain, re-use yeast, etc.

Each to his own, I learn and gain experience better/faster, by doing.

Thanks guys, I wasn't super concerned about it, I just couldn't find any information about a yeast cake looking like this.

And I like to research (learn) everything I can about brewing, especially so, when its something that I want to try or something that's happened to one of my brews.

Revvy yes it did look like that on the top too.

Thanks again for the positive replies.
Cheers :mug:

washing and reusing yeast is funky stuff?

washing and reusing yeast is funky stuff?

No...just look for his other recent thread. Have you ever re-used grain...not a parti-gyle mind you, but literally saved old grain and rebrewed with it? That's pretty funky. And again, I said in my OP that there's nothing wrong with it, then stated what I preferred to do.

Funky is a subjective word. I chose how to use it. Sue me.

No...just look for his other recent thread. Have you ever re-used grain...not a parti-gyle mind you, but literally saved old grain and rebrewed with it? That's pretty funky. And again, I said in my OP that there's nothing wrong with it, then stated what I preferred to do.

Funky is a subjective word. I chose how to use it. Sue me.

ah i hadn't seen his other threads :mug:

I had some US-05 I used for a stout that came out looking like what I imagine yours did, at least in terms of texture. Mine was much lighter in color, probably a bit closer to the cottage cheese example. In any case, it was quite unpleasant to behold. My krausen did fall, however.

I've been through 6 fermentations now, each one different in its own way, and the 4 of those I've tasted in their final state have all been enjoyable. It's like a snowflake. Or a fingerprint. Or, rather often, sort of like excrement.

I see, there's your problem right there! You're supposed to add the sirloin AFTER primary fermentation is complete, not before. Silly rabbit, adjuncts are for kids.

Lmao HanksBrewer, thats funny, I was almost thinking I was suppose to add hamburger helper to it.

I had some US-05 I used for a stout that came out looking like what I imagine yours did, at least in terms of texture. Mine was much lighter in color, probably a bit closer to the cottage cheese example. In any case, it was quite unpleasant to behold. My krausen did fall, however.

I've been through 6 fermentations now, each one different in its own way, and the 4 of those I've tasted in their final state have all been enjoyable. It's like a snowflake. Or a fingerprint. Or, rather often, sort of like excrement.

Nice zeg, The yeast I had this happen on was US-05 too.

reminds me of this picture from a few weeks ago. yeast looks weird sometimes

p79PZl.jpg

I guess you missed this part of your post too.
Jbaysurfer as quoted by WileECoyote said:
you really have no experience on which to draw when you're making decisions like how to re-use grain, re-use yeast, etc.

Do the whole forum a favor and don't deliberately misquote people. Yes, by purposefully omitting certain words from a sentence you are misquoting. You took this:

Jbaysurfer said:
There's nothing wrong with doing funky stuff, but I preferred doing basic stuff first then matriculating to the more adventurous stuff. Without the basics, you really have no experience on which to draw when you're making decisions like how to re-use grain, re-use yeast, etc.

..and turned it into something that looks derogatory. I don't roll that way, I was trying to give you some advice that you may not have liked, but I wasn't being disrespectful in any way.

Hell, just quote the whole sentence and anyone can see I clearly was not being the dbag you made me out to be.

I get this on english strains and low OG IPA's a lot
WHy??
I have no idea but its never been a "bad" thing that i can see.

EDIT: DAmm zombie threads!!!

Back