Specialty IPA: Red IPA India Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
American Ale
Yeast Starter
Yes-2 quart
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
70-75
Color
17 srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 66f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 66f
Additional Fermentation
Dry hops in keg for 1 week at room temp.
Tasting Notes
The carmel, pale and roast malts and delicious hops mingle in the best way. Smooth.
The base of this from Radical Brewing by Mosher. I used just 1 oz black instead of 2, and I changed the hops to suit my tastes. This beer won a Gold at Slurp and Burp last year in the "Northwest Style Ale" special category (39 points).

Pale Ale Malt 6.5 lbs
Munich type 1 (10L) 5 lbs.
Crystal 40L .75 lbs
Crystal 90L .5 lbs
Black malt 1 oz

All whole hops
Simcoe(13% aa) 1 oz 60 min
Amarillo(9.3% aa)1 oz 30 min
Cascade (7% aa)1 oz 5 min

Simcoe .5 oz dry hops
Amarillo 1 oz dry hops
Cascade .5 oz dry hops

Mash 153 for 60 min
Collect 7 gallons
to yield 5.5 gal.

American Ale yeast.

Ferment 10 days primary, 7 days secondary with dry hops. Enjoy.
Boil 90 min.

I've been looking at that Mosher recipe for a long time and wondered how it would come out. I love hopped up ambers and reds- my guess is this is very similar in malt depth to a West Coast Amber Ale?

I've been looking at that Mosher recipe for a long time and wondered how it would come out. I love hopped up ambers and reds- my guess is this is very similar in malt depth to a West Coast Amber Ale?

Yeah, the grain bill is great. West coast amber/red is right on. I notched back the black malt to not end up too dark.

Everything I love about malt in one beer. I have a friend who did the exact recipe from Radical Brewing (with cascade and goldings) and it was very good.Much less in your face... I simply prefer NW hops in my face! especially in hoppier beers.

You would swear there was some victory or biscuit in the recipe, but its just the harmony of the Pale, Munich and Crystal.

I recommend this grain bill for any amber/red.

Anyway, I made the IRA from page 88 of Radical Brewing, and there is a type for the PM version... says to use 6.5 lbs DME which is obviously false, but it was my first brew so I was paying attention to the letter of the recipe at the expense of common sense. :) I would scale it back to 4lbs DME next time... it ended up with a bit of extra alcohol and a big malty mouthfeel that was almost too much.

The taste and hop impact are fantastic though... the head on this beer lasts forever.

"The taste and hop impact are fantastic though... the head on this beer lasts forever."
Mr.Internet,
Glad that part turned out for you. What was your O.G. ?

"The taste and hop impact are fantastic though... the head on this beer lasts forever."
Mr.Internet,
Glad that part turned out for you. What was your O.G. ?

Have to check my notes, but I believe it was 1.075?

Wow, yeah that would knock it out of wack a bit. An imperial red?

It came in just under 7% ABV, so I wouldn't exactly call it "Imperial". :) It finished around 1.025, so a bit high, hence the malty mouthfeel. I have that problem with pretty much every PM brew I do, finishing too high... I can't wait to go all-grain. :)

i just popped open my first bottle of this and all i can say is 'DAAAAAMN! this is one tasty brew'

well, that and 'thanks for posting this great recipe!'

i brewed the exact recipe posted and will be brewing it again as soon as i can get my mitts on more simcoe.

So glad it turned out well for you! I have also brewed this with Simcoe in place of the cascade at the end of the boil...that was really good too!

im a slave for simcoe, though. they fit so well with this recipe that i dont want to make the change. plus, i've been getting my hops from our local brewery ($16/lb!) so 'getting my mitts' on them is basically just me getting off my ass to make the 5 min bike ride downtown.

im a slave for simcoe, though. they fit so well with this recipe that i dont want to make the change. plus, i've been getting my hops from our local brewery ($16/lb!) so 'getting my mitts' on them is basically just me getting off my ass to make the 5 min bike ride downtown.

That is a great deal for Simcoe! They are usually the most expensive variety at the homebrew store. I just paid 4.99 for 2 oz.

as this was the greatest beer i've brewed, i had to have another go at it. last night i put it out again, but this time i changed teh hop schedule to

0.5oz Simcoe 60min
0.5oz Cascade 60min
1.0oz Amarillo 30min
.25oz Simcoe 5min
.25oz Cascade 5min
.25oz Simcoe 0min
.25oz Cascade 0min

i'll prob keep the same dry hop schedule, or maybe boost both the simcoe and the cascade to .75oz.

we'll see how that goes.

as this was the greatest beer i've brewed, i had to have another go at it. last night i put it out again, but this time i changed teh hop schedule to

0.5oz Simcoe 60min
0.5oz Cascade 60min
1.0oz Amarillo 30min
.25oz Simcoe 5min
.25oz Cascade 5min
.25oz Simcoe 0min
.25oz Cascade 0min

i'll prob keep the same dry hop schedule, or maybe boost both the simcoe and the cascade to .75oz.

we'll see how that goes.

I am going to brew this again soon and I am also going to play with the hops, I like your idea. I think more late hops is the call. Let me know how this turns out.

Brewed again 5/30/10

Subbed the crystal 80 for crystal 120
Mashed a bit higher: 155f
1 oz Columbus added at flameout and 1/2 oz in dry hop-

Dry hopping with Cascade, Amarillo, Columbus and Simcoe- .5 oz each in the keg.

Taste: AWESOME! Slightly sweeter, but more complex than last batch due to higher mash temp, and the C120. The hops are sightly muted by the sweetness-but the dry hop aroma makes up for that.

tim, i'm brewing your latest version as i type. looking forward to it!

any suggestions as to how to do a partial mash version? aside from a bunch of gluten-free beers that ive made recently, i've never actually done an extract brew. started right with all-grain, so i have no idea how i would convert the recipe!

the reason is that i would love to make larger quantity batches and i cant afford to upgrade my equipment at this point, so i was hoping a different method would help me with that.

jman, I am not sure how doing a partial mash would increase your volume of beer? I suppose you have a small mash tun, but a large kettle?

anyway, the conversion for grain to extract is below (found on another site) for this beer, I would replace the 2 row with extract, and just mash the Munich and specialty grains together. That would free up 6.5 lbs of mash space for you.

p.s. Very glad you are enjoying this recipe. I served a keg of it at my 40th B-day party along with 4 other beers made by brew buddies. The IRA was the crowd favorite.

ALL-GRAIN TO EXTRACT
Amount of pale malt x .8125 = amount of liquid malt extract
(example: 8 lbs. pale malt x .8125 = 6.5 lbs. liquid malt extract)
Amount of pale malt x .6875 - amount of dry malt extract (DME)
(example: 8 lbs. pale malt x .6875 = 5.5 lbs. dry malt extract)
Amount of wheat malt x .937 = amount of liquid wheat malt extract
(example: 6.5 lbs. wheat malt x .937 = 6.1 lbs. liquid malt extract)

EXTRACT TO ALL-GRAIN
Amount of liquid malt extract x 1.23 - amount of pale malt
(example: 6.6 lbs. liquid malt extract x 1.23 = 8.1 lbs. pale malt)
Amount of dry malt extract x 1.45 - amount of pale malt
(example: 5 lbs. dry malt extract x 1.45 = 7.25 lbs. pale malt)
Amount of liquid wheat extract x 1.07 - amount of wheat malt
(example: 6.6 lbs. wheat extract x 1.07 = 7 lbs. wheat malt)

Tim,

I am not quite done with my brewstand so I am still partial-mashing. Given all the information you've put out and Mosher's P.M. info would you agree this would be an acceptable partial-mash recipe?

Pale DME 4.47lbs
Munich type 1 (10L) 5 lbs.
Crystal 40L .75 lbs
Crystal 90L .5 lbs
Black malt 1 oz

All whole hops
Simcoe(13% aa) 1 oz 60 min
Amarillo(9.3% aa)1 oz 30 min
Cascade (7% aa)1 oz 5 min

Simcoe .5 oz dry hops
Amarillo 1 oz dry hops
Cascade .5 oz dry hops

Mash 6.3 quarts 165* 45-60 mins
Rinse 1 gal 180*
Add water to get 7 gallons
Boil 90 min
Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Boil 90 min

Ferment 10 days primary, 7 days secondary with dry hops. Transfer to Keg Carb 1-2 weeks. Enjoy.

Hey, jmkratt- yes that looks just right (at least according the conversion chart in the previous post). I am so happy a few of the HBT brewers have tried and like this recipe.

Just to give proper credit, this is based on a recpe from Mosher's Radical Brewing, the hops have changed to protect the innocent.:)

Good on you for the brewstand, I am planning on building one soon. What are you making?

Thanks Tim,

Yeah I am reading Radical Brewing now and that's how I found your recipe. I hope to jump up to all-grain soon but for now I am going to try your out. I like the changes you made to the hop schedule! Thanks for the feedback, I will report back as to how it goes!

EDIT: Didn't see that last question at first, sorry, just making a 2-tiered Woody which will have to do until I can upgrade. Not tough, just takes time from brewing and I am procrastinating.

If you're into buying hops by the LB. check out hopsdirect. I usually put in an order for 2 or 3lbs at about $15/Lb. Not affiliated with them, just passing the find along.

If you're into buying hops by the LB. check out hopsdirect. I usually put in an order for 2 or 3lbs at about $15/Lb. Not affiliated with them, just passing the find along.

Funny you should mention them, my brew crew and I ordered 11 lbs from them in the spring! prices from $8-15 per pound, and we got the hops in 2 days!

This is one of my favorites and made it for the 2nd time yesterday. I stayed true to the original recipe except substituted Fuggles for the EKG because I was out of EKG.

OG: 1.060

I am planning to brew the original AG version of this recipe. Unfortunately, there was a mix up in the hops I ordered. I have 4oz Simcoe 14.4% and 2oz Cascade 6.5%, all whole. Any thoughts on using all Simcoe instead of Simcoe and Amarillo? The IBU was already high (70-75) for the original recipe. I love me some hoppy beers, but this might be pushin' it!

I am planning to brew the original AG version of this recipe. Unfortunately, there was a mix up in the hops I ordered. I have 4oz Simcoe 14.4% and 2oz Cascade 6.5%, all whole. Any thoughts on using all Simcoe instead of Simcoe and Amarillo? The IBU was already high (70-75) for the original recipe. I love me some hoppy beers, but this might be pushin' it!

i think i've brewed this recipe about 8 times now. each time, ive altered the hop timings and amounts a bit, but mainly keeping the same three varieties. for my tastes, this one wouldnt be the same with out amarillo. it just adds such distinct flavor and aroma. but your brew wil be just fine. just make sure you get some amarillo for the inevitable second batch.

hopsdirect.com was mentioned above. love those guys. great prices and great variety. if youre ever in the yakima area, look them up. we toured their farm while wine tasting last labor day and it was awesome.

Hey Sundell, I think that as jman mentioned, it will be a different brew without the Amarillo, Simcoe at 60 and 30 would be fine too. In fact, I have flipped the hops on this and done Simcoe at the end (5 min) and it was great. One of the best things about this recipe is that the grain bill can handle a lot of hops, and tastes good with many different hopping strategies. I don't think 75 IBU is pushing it, but I am a Portland hophead, so my perception may be skewed;)

I say brew it with Simcoe at 60 and 30. You can dial back the Simcoe at 60 if you want to decrease the bitterness-maybe to .75 oz.

Brew on, Tim

Seems everyone is sold out of Amarillo. The outstanding reviews of this beer make me want to try the original recipe. I think I'll hold out for Amarillo, if I can find it. If not I'm sure the all Simcoe version will be tasty!

Having made this recipe a number of times I think the malt of this can stand up to any hops you throw at it. Yes Amarillo is awesome but I think you will be happy with your hop bill as well. Don't delay making it, it is too delicious to wait.

I'm definitely going to go for it, with all Simcoe, this weekend. Yeah, can't wait any longer. My yeast starter will be a bit off as well - only have dark LME on hand (may alter the flavor just a tad). The original recipe will be brewed in due time, the more hoppy red beers in my fridge the better!

Dumb question for the recipe...is "Munich type 1 (10L)" the same thing as "Weyermann Cara Munich I"? The SRM is way off with this on Brewmasters Warehouse. Though I am using am American IPA as a guideline and this is a Red IPA.

I whipped up 5 gallons of this a few months ago and wanted to say this is hands down the best beer I have ever produced. Kudos and thanks for the excellent recipe!

Dumb question for the recipe...is "Munich type 1 (10L)" the same thing as "Weyermann Cara Munich I"? The SRM is way off with this on Brewmasters Warehouse. Though I am using am American IPA as a guideline and this is a Red IPA.

Munich type 1 is a base malt at 8-10L
NOT CARAMUNICH. Cara Munich is a crystal malt.

Back