Bottling an Oud Bruin early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp262

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Apologies if this has been beaten to death, attempted a search with no relevant results.

Looks like we'll be moving soon, so the Oud Bruin I have aging I'm thinking will be less risky to move in bottles than in the carboy. I pitched the Roeselare blend after near full fermentation with S-05 (down to 1.010 at the time) and it's been sitting like that about 4 months (haven't taken a recent gravity reading).

I understand the Brett and other strains in Roeselare will continue munching on sugars until it dries out a good bit, and my concern is over carbonation and the possibility of a bottle bomb over long term aging (1 yr) in the bottle.

In your opinion is this a warranted concern?

If so I do have a plan B, I have a Corny Keg I could transfer the Oud into. But I have no way of purging the head space, etc. And not sure the consequences of removing from secondary at this stage...

Plan C is just to let them get carbonated and drink in a timely fashion ;P

Thanks!
Blake

You can try and bottle it but I wouldn't prime. You should be good for at least 3 months if not 6 months. The gravity only needs to drop by 2 points to carbonate.

It depends on what the current gravity is. If you can bottle in champagne bottles or the thick 750ml Belgian bottles that may avoid some of the risk of bottle bombs. However, you may not enjoy having an overcarbonated beer and after spending months on it that may lead to a real disappointment.

I would go ahead and keg it. You can always rig up the Keg's gas input to be a blow off once you get to your new place.

Edit: Sorry I read that too quickly. You have a keg but no CO2 to purge it with??

Thanks everyone for the advice. I checked today and the gravity is only down to 1.009. There is only the very beginnings of a pellicle on top. Sample tasted pretty good though...

I re-did my math when I noticed I brewed this on 12/15/10 - so in reality it's only been in secondary with roeselare for about 2 1/2 months.

I think at this point I'll try to find a friend with some extra basement space in the new town and take it up there in the car all strapped in (and disguised, open container and all ;P). That's going to be one nerve-racking ride....

Blake

Back