secondary????????????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsmasters

Reaction score
My long fermentation has finaly reached it FG after 10 days. Should i now let it sit for a day or two to keep the exta settlement out of the secondary, or should i just let it settle out in the secondary?

:tank:

If you are going you secondary do it now.

I don't think you even need to bother with the secondary. Wait a few more days and then bottle it. A secondary is only required with a few styles of brewing.

I thought a secondary was just used for clearing the beer? I guess I need to read more, but I use a secondary on everything so far (3 and counting). But again my understanding is that the secondary will help clear the beer giving you a much more refined taste and feel.

After my first couple of brews I switched to using a secondary all the time. It does help the beer clear more. I go about three weeks from brew day to bottling/kegging and like to get it out of the primary after around 7-12 days once fermentation settles down. :mug:

For me if i'm bottling my beer I think i'll always use a secondary in future, its the difference between a thick layer of sediment at the bottom of my bottles to a tiny bit of yeast when i've let it clear in a secondary, plus as has already been said, it frees up the primary so you can get a chaser going! I have a very high turnover because I can't stop quaffing beers! :(

I go to secondary in 5 to 7 days. Once the bubbles in the airlock slow down to once every 20-30 seconds. I want some fermentation activity still going to burn off any O2 that the beer may encounter during the rack to secondary.

Dissolution said:
I go to secondary in 5 to 7 days. Once the bubbles in the airlock slow down to once every 20-30 seconds. I want some fermentation activity still going to burn off any O2 that the beer may encounter during the rack to secondary.

Gotta say I agree with you there, the transfer will normally get the yeast going again but better to guarentee that o2 is gonna get Co2'd by transfering within a week. i'd only leave in primary for more than 7 days if I was going straight to bottle.

Wheat, stout, porter, hefe, wit, APA....I don't care. Everything goes to the secondary. Get it off that yeast cake and allow the beer to "brighten" up as stuff continues to fall out.

A secondary conditioning can only improve beer.

in my humble opinion, The only reason you should use a secondary is if your'e going to dry hop, or if your'e brewing a clear type beer like a lager. and i would never throw a hefeweizen in secondary because you don't want it to clear up. keep it cloudy

Latest posts

Back