12-21-12 Barleywine(aka:"End of the World Ale" or "Myan Special") Who is brewing one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBasile

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a Barleywine this summer to be consumed at the end of the world (December 21, 2012) but I'm still sorting through recipes and trying to formulate one! This'll also sort of be my 2 year anniversary of brewing beer!

So who is brewing a beer for 12-21-12, and what are you brewing (if you don't mind sharing your recipe)?

Oh, I think there's plenty of time, even if it isn't ready by that date.....if you get my drift.

I might brew one before I ship out for the Marines. It might work since I would be gone and not brewing, I could just let it sit and age for a while.

I need to think and ponder this...

I did an imperial stout with dried guajillo and ancho chiles, cocoa powder, vanilla bean, and cinnamon... seems like that would fit the day well.

The thought hadn't occurred to me but now that you bring it up, it sounds like a wonderful idea. I've never made a barley wine before... time for some research! :tank:

I really, really like this idea. Going with the cultural theme, you could incorporate chocolate, coffee, and South American spices into the final mix. Seems perfect for a massively imperial stout.

(One clarification: I think it is the Aztec calendar that has everyone predicting the end of the world, not Mayan.)

I really, really like this idea. Going with the cultural theme, you could incorporate chocolate, coffee, and South American spices into the final mix. Seems perfect for a massively imperial stout.

(One clarification: I think it is the Aztec calendar that has everyone predicting the end of the world, not Mayan.)

No. It's the Mayan calendar. And I Googled "Mayan calendar" a while back, and came across a scholar who's studied the Maya AND their calendar his whole career, and what he says makes very interesting reading. If you don't have the time, I can summarize: Don't worry about it.

No. It's the Mayan calendar. And I Googled "Mayan calendar" a while back, and came across a scholar who's studied the Maya AND their calendar his whole career, and what he says makes very interesting reading. If you don't have the time, I can summarize: Don't worry about it.

Mea culpa.

Not really worried about it at all. I do think it's a fun idea and theme for a beer, though. :mug:

Check out this site: http://www.chocoguatemaya.com/ingredients_eng.php

The ingredients for making Mayan-style cacao would be great in an imperial stout. Honey, cinnamon, vanilla, allspice, chile pepper, and, of course, chocolate... If done in the right proportions, it could be a wonderful winter treat, perfect for mid-December. Honey obviously ferments out, so you could add a little honey malt and/or use honey to lighten the body or carbonate. The remainder would have to be added in the right proportions, but would add a nice flavor and complexity.

This idea has me really excited. Thanks, OP!

I can't believe I never thought of this! Thanks for the idea op. All of my fermenters are full at the moment but I think when I free up some space I might have to brew somthing for this.

My son Josh and I actually brewed a Barleywine this past Sunday using Pilsen malt instead of prescribed 2-Row. It somewhat following the recipe for Dominion Millenium Barleywine. The kicker is we called it "End of the World Barleywine" with no thought of this thread or the predicted Mayan event. It measured at 1.102 instead of the Beersmith listed 1.098 and tasted pretty good. Its slowly chugging away in the basement now.

Cheers :)

Well I've decided to do a 12%ABV version of my imperial bourbon stout. It's as dark as the darkness the will befall our world on 12-21-12, and if the end of the world doesn't destroy you this beer will :)

Back