Gelatin Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdupree

Reaction score
I just put 1 packet of Knox gelatin dissolved in 1 cup of water. I heated it to boiling, removed from heat, waited 5 minutes, then dissolved it in the water, stirred for 10 minutes then added to my secondary that had been refrigerated at 34 degrees F for the last week. I left that for 3 days then racked to a keg. The beer is thick like i accidentally made beer jello, not as thick as pancake syrup but thicker than a stout. Can I fix this by leaving it refrigerated for a week or so? My fear is that the gelatin got too close to boiling temperature. The beer is carbonated already. I'm a warrior and this stuff is getting drunk either way but I'd like to improve it if possible. It's an american ale.

I realize there was no need to add the gelatin if i was going to leave it refrigerated this long but i was looking to make super clear beer. Please help if you have any info

You shouldn't get gelatin over 170 when using it to fine beer. You made Jell-O. Your beer should be ok, but you might have to let it settle for a while.

I used the pack of Knox. I think it was less than a tablespoon to the 5 gallons

Use 1/2 of a packet per 5 gallons, bloom it in around 140-150F water and let it dissolve. Pour that in to your fermenter and chill that bastid down as close to freezing as you can. If you use too much, boil the gelatine, don't drop the temp of the beer down enough, all bets are off...

Back