Hi! I'm dumb!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greencoat

Reaction score
So I just bottled batch two. Around an hour after cleanup I realized I forgot to add priming sugar. I don't think RDWHAH will quite cover this one. Any ideas??

Yeah, that's probably the easiest way. Also, probably the least chance of infection. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. - Dwain

Yeah, tabs are about your only real option. AND...make sure you have enough caps on hand to re-cap the bottles before you start. Don't ask me why I feel compelled to remind you of this. :drunk:

I don't want to hijack, but I had a similar issue with my first bottling experience.

I forgot to boil my priming sugar. I just dumped it in the bottom of the bucket and racked on top. Because the sugar wasn't already in solution with the boiling water, what I got was a lump of wet sugar (about 1/4 of the sugar I had started with) on the bottom of my bottling bucket when I was done bottling. I took the RDWHAHB approach, because I didn't think I had many other options.

After about 3 weeks, the beer is carbed a bit, but not enough by my standards. I agitated the bottles about a week ago, and that did pump it up a bit, but still not enough. I've got my second batch in bottles now, and they turned out great. So I'm thinking of just letting my first batch (Irish Red Ale) sit in the bottles (while I enjoy my second batch, a Belgian Wit) for a few more weeks, and continue to agitate them a bit.

Any other recommendations?

If you can work out the amount of sugar you need for each bottle you can add that amount and give it a good shake. You need to get the calculations right though......But I've done that before and it worked out fine.

I was just guessing at how much sugar was left, there is no way for me to know how much actually got dissolved. I'm tempted to test on 6 bottles or so, just adding a little extra (I'll run the calculations before I do so) and put the bottles somewhere safe, in case I get bombs out of them. If they work out well, maybe I'll repeat with the others, if the benefit is worth the extra work that is.

Latest posts

Back