Cheap Portable Gas Set-up???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Polling for comments.... (SAFETY IS MY CONCERN HERE)

I bought one of these regulators from Menards for $18 (Its was rated for 160PSI) I was temped to return it because of the low pressure rating.

t20883.jpg

I was thinking for a $21 I could attach one of these co2 chargers.

co2-charger.jpg

Basically, regulate the cartridges to whatever needed pressure-wise if I tie down the trigger. I'd stick the regulator in between the gas disconnect and the charger.

I'm having a hard time believing this plastic thing is rated at a higher pressure than an aluminum bodied regulator.
D37.JPG

Those small CO2 chargers have no regulation at all. It is common for people to blow the pressure relief on a keg when they use them, until they get the hang of bumping the pressure in small bursts.

Regulators designed for air tools aren't all that great at controlling pressure at very low gas volumes. People do use them, though.

Those small CO2 chargers have no regulation at all. It is common for people to blow the pressure relief on a keg when they use them, until they get the hang of bumping the pressure in small bursts.

You have to be careful with them. I still have a black fingernail from assembling it when it was not on the keg.

The instructions are your friend!

:eek:

Please explain. How did you smash a finger? With one of these?

co2-charger.jpg

Yep.

I assembled it, with the cylinder and the cornie connector, without the connector being attached to the keg (a no-no, according to the directions).

I must have bumped the trigger. The cap on the top of the cornie gas connector BLEW off, hitting my finger, then my leg, bruising the crap out of both.

I found the spring and o ring from the connector, but still have not found the top cap.

Oh frickin' ouch! Its sounds like it smarted. I'm surprised you don't here more of this happening when playing with compressed CO2 and beer.

I still have a small bump on my forehead from two (or was it three) years ago when I blew the top of the Quick Disconnect trying to inject CO2 for the first time with one of those tire inflators. I didn't have the thing all the way on the post and I stupidly kept squeezing it.

I wear goggles now whenever I mess around with CO2.

I like the idea of that thing from Harbor Freight.

Will you be able to use that hose? I don't know what sort of thread size or fitting they work with.

I like the idea of that thing from Harbor Freight.

Will you be able to use that hose? I don't know what sort of thread size or fitting they work with.

I'm going to use standard gas lines fitted with a barb that has the correct threads. I'll add a check-ball valve too.

go here and read post #189
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/biermunchers-rolling-kegerator-byo-published-71719/index19.html

I'm in Canada.... I just found something simular to this for $99
it's the same thing that the moderator bought... ( if you go to post #1 of that thread ) ... many guys on my local beer club also have this, and say it's amazing !
I'm debating buy it ( the sale ends TODAY ! ( April 2, 2009 ) ... however,,, the guys on my local beer group bought this when it was on sale at only $69.99
at the same store.... ouch......

anyway, amazing little thing, - if you don't use it to actually force-carb your beer, a single tank will last you almost forever.... ( I have a 20 oz tank hooked to a regular regulator that
I would use on a 20lb Co2 tank and I've had it now for 3 years and it's still not even empty ) ( but I only use it to dispense beer... never to actually carb it ) ( use only with carbed beer )

portableco2.jpg

Hey - I got mine for $54.89 that's with shipping. I like all the pics BM posted!! Hope mine is as good.

go here and read post #189
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/biermunchers-rolling-kegerator-byo-published-71719/index19.html

I'm in Canada.... I just found something simular to this for $99
it's the same thing that the moderator bought... ( if you go to post #1 of that thread ) ... many guys on my local beer club also have this, and say it's amazing !
I'm debating buy it ( the sale ends TODAY ! ( April 2, 2009 ) ... however,,, the guys on my local beer group bought this when it was on sale at only $69.99
at the same store.... ouch......

anyway, amazing little thing, - if you don't use it to actually force-carb your beer, a single tank will last you almost forever.... ( I have a 20 oz tank hooked to a regular regulator that
I would use on a 20lb Co2 tank and I've had it now for 3 years and it's still not even empty ) ( but I only use it to dispense beer... never to actually carb it ) ( use only with carbed beer )

Hey Schlenkerla,

thanks for your post.

you didn't get that kit that is in the image I posted did ya ? ... or did you mean you bought the one from HarborFreight ( the blue model )

Hey - I got mine for $54.89 that's with shipping. I like all the pics BM posted!! Hope mine is as good.

Hey Schlenkerla,

thanks for your post.

you didn't get that kit that is in the image I posted did ya ? ... or did you mean you bought the one from HarborFreight ( the blue model )

I got mine from Harbor Freight. Actually, I bought it last night, got the confirmation notice this morning.

Back