American IPA Bee Cave Brewery IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale-05
Yeast Starter
Hydrated
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
10 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days at 65 degrees then keg
BCBIPA.jpg

11# Pale
1# Munich
12 oz. Crystal 60L

Single Infusion for 90 minutes at 154 degrees.

1 oz. Warrior 60 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 15 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 5 minutes

Dry Yeast - Safale US-05

O.G. 1.065
F.G. 1.016

Dry Hop with 1 oz. Centennial.

BCB-IPA.jpg

I was thinking of brewing his, but Austin home brew does not have centennial hops so I was thinking 2 oz cascade in the kettle and 1 0z willamette dry hop, will that be sufficient?

I'd dry hop with Cascades over Wilamettes, personally. They'll keep the citruisy character that you're looking for more than the Wilamettes, which are a breed of Fuggle.

Ed.

Nice recipe. Simple and looks like it is going to taste great. An EdWort Classic in the making I am sure.

Q: Why 05 and not Notty? I know you are a big fan of the Notty.

Where are you getting Centennial? Did you have a stash of that too :)

Thanks Ed.

Safale 05 is the Wyeast 1056 Chico strain. It makes a great IPA.

Yes, I have a stash of Centennial too. :D I picked up a pound of it a while back since this recipe uses 6 oz for a 10 gallon batch. I'll have to subtitute Amarillo when I run out.

Ed.

I think I am going to brew this for my next batch.
Northern Brewer has Centinnial for 6:75$ an oz.. wow! ..

I think I am going to go with Amirillo as you suggest.

I like how you approach recipes... simple, straight forward and with an eye on cost.

I will let you know.
T

Edwort, thanks for the recipe, looks tasty! Couple of questions for you:

I only have a 5 gallon MLT, and if I stick with a mash thickness of 1.25 qts/lb that means I'll have a total volume of 5.1g for the mash. Is this the mash thickness that you use, or would you go with a higher/lower thickness? Also, you mention that the safale 05 is the same strain as Wyeast 1056...anything wrong with just using the 1056? Thanks!

Ed.

I think I am going to brew this for my next batch.
Northern Brewer has Centinnial for 6:75$ an oz.. wow! ..

Check out HomebrewMart.com for hops. I was there over the weekend in San Diego and they have Centennial for $2.47 per ounce in 2 ounce bags.

They actually have a bunch of different hops. I snagged enough for 3 batches. Whoo Hoo!

Edwort, thanks for the recipe, looks tasty! Couple of questions for you:

I only have a 5 gallon MLT, and if I stick with a mash thickness of 1.25 qts/lb that means I'll have a total volume of 5.1g for the mash. Is this the mash thickness that you use, or would you go with a higher/lower thickness? Also, you mention that the safale 05 is the same strain as Wyeast 1056...anything wrong with just using the 1056? Thanks!

You will need a bigger MLT to mash this puppy as I use 1.25 qts/pound thickness.

Wyeast 1056 should be fine.

For us Noob's, could you give me an extract recipe (w/ steeping grains), as I still am not sure which grains can/cannot be steeped?

why do you mash for 90 minutes instead of 60? what does a longer mash achieve in this case?

I like to make sure such a large grain bill is fully converted. It also gives me more time to do other things.

Ed,

what kinda sparge do you use? I just did this recipe with a double batch sparge (no mash out) and the OG was about 1.054. Granted, I'm new to AG, but just curious as to your technique.

btw - someday, everything is gonna be: EdWort's xxxx (e.g. EdWort's apfelwen, EdWort's Haus Ale, EdWort's IPA, EdWort's Bank, EdWort's grocery store, EdWort's car dealership, EdWort's golf course, etc, etc, :rockin::rockin::rockin:)

I do about 3 sparges for a 10 gallon batch due to the size of the grain bill and my 10 gallon MLT. I also use 5.2 buffer for my water.

just ordered the ingrediants for this brew, it will be my 4th attempt at anything. first brew was a oatmeal stout, after that its been edworts apfelwein, edworts hefe, and now edworts ipa. thanks mr. ed for the recipes.

I just bottled EdWort's Haus Pale this past week and I'm planning to do this one as my 2nd AG next weekend. What kind of pre-boil volume would I be looking for with this since it is a 90 minute boil?

BTW- I couldn't get Centennials but Austin Homebrew has a Centennial-type pellet blend consisting of 70% Cascade and 30% Columbus for an AAU of 7.7%....

Thanks EdWort for the great recipes!!

As he mentioned on the page before:

"Use 6.6 pounds of DME and steep the Munich and the Crystal."

An added note is that Austin Homebrew sells Munich LME, so get a pound of that and just steep the crystal. Do a full boil and you are good to go with the hop additions.

I wish it were possible. The reason I cant do all grain is because I have no place for a turkey fryer and my stove is POS. I figure Ill just add the hops at the same basic times but with 2 gallons, I mean, how off could be the beer really be? Thanks for the help EdWort.

a 90 minute boil?

the hop schedule starts @ 60. Boil w/ nothing until theres 60 minutes left? Am i correct or is there an error in the recipe?

I brewed this recipe several weeks ago. A week in primary and two-weeks on the dry hop, its been bottled for 1 week now. I bottled a couple swing tops so I could monitor carbonation and conditioning by taking little tastes over time. damn this is good, probably one of my favorite brews so far. People always ask me if I homebrew to save money...we all know that is an extremely loaded question. However, when I end up bottling 23 22oz bottles of a beer like this the economics of it seem to make more sense, considering a 22oz of good microbrew IPA normally costs at least $5. Can't wait to have those bottles ready for the new year---I will probably brew this recipe again when I get my kegging set-up.

Hey Ed,

Is the "pale" you used 2row, US Pale Malt, or an English Pale? I buy Maris Otter in bulk and was thinking about dropping the Munich and bumping up the % MO to cover gravity points if you use 2row.

Hey Ed,

Is the "pale" you used 2row, US Pale Malt, or an English Pale? I buy Maris Otter in bulk and was thinking about dropping the Munich and bumping up the % MO to cover gravity points if you use 2row.

Just regular 2 row pale.

Ed-This is a fantastic beer! I subbed the Centennials with Amarillos and it was delicious. It is amazingly balanced and very flavorful (not just bitter). I plan on repeating this with different 'IPA hops' in the future. It is very encouraging to be able to make an excellent IPA with only 4 oz. of hops!

Ed,

I can't thank you enough for your simple, yet delicious, recipes. I've made your apfelwein and haus pale, and both turned out even better than expected. Props on sharing your vast knowledge and recipes w/ us.

One quick question, would this recipe lend well to a partial mash? or should I just go along with the extract w/ steeping? I've been enjoying doing PM's in preparation for the move to AG, so any help you could give in converting to PM would be great.

i'm still new to making recipes and whatnot, how's this sound:

5-6 lbs extra light/ pale DME/LME
4 lbs pale 2-row
1 lb munich
1 lb crystal

only part i'm never sure of is how much water to use.

I used to just drop hop filled herb ball in the keg, chill, carb & drink, but now I hang the hop bag in the keg for a week to 10 days at room temp before removing, chilling & carbing.

No offense intended but isn't this just a very subtle tweak on the Stone IPA clone you did from AHS?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/stone-ipa-clone-comparison-you-pick-real-one-33213/

Mine is fricking awsome! It's actually a Stone IPA Clone, but it tastes more like the Ruination. Much better than the real thing. I'm so stoked, I'm brewing it again tomorrow.
Here's the recipe.

Single infusion 60 minutes at 153 degrees.

10.5# Pale
1# Munich
1# Crystal 20L

1 oz. Warrior 60 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 15 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 5 minutes

Dry Yeast - Safale US-05

O.G. 1.066
F.G. 1.010

Dry Hop with 1 oz. Centennial. The stainless herb ball in the keg works great!

As far as aroma & taste go, this time I can't really tell the difference except mine is a shade darker in color. This recipe from AHS is pretty much spot on IMHO.

Yep. Same hop bill, plus a little heavier on the pale and more caramel malt for a darker and higher F.G.

AHS might be a bit sore about brewmasters warehouse selling this....seems a bit close for comfort IMHO.

*shrug*

It's grain, hops, yeast and water. Everything is a derivative work off of something already brewed and nothing is stopping AHS from selling the same recipe.

*shrug*

It's grain, hops, yeast and water. Everything is a derivative work off of something already brewed and nothing is stopping AHS from selling the same recipe.

er...AHS already does, that's where it came from in the first place.

Back