Beer Smith question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
Hey everyone I was just playing around with BeerSmith and was curious to know more about the yeast section, mainly the yeast starter stuff. I am.not understanding why its telling me that I need like 20-sum pcks of yeast to make my 10gal batch. Not sure and not understanding that part. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Hey everyone I was just playing around with BeerSmith and was curious to know more about the yeast section, mainly the yeast starter stuff. I am.not understanding why its telling me that I need like 20-sum pcks of yeast to make my 10gal batch. Not sure and not understanding that part. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Make sure you change the date of manufacture to jive with what you have or it will set viability to like 1%. At least that is what has happened to me in the past.

Make sure you change the date of manufacture to jive with what you have or it will set viability to like 1%. At least that is what has happened to me in the past.

Yea the Yeast section get a little confusing. I know when I brew 5gal. I just use one vile and do a 1L starter with stir plate. So should I just buy 2 viles and do a 2L starter? I have washed and reused my yeast before but just trying to get a better handle on measuring and/or weighing yeast now that we are starting to do bigger size batches.

Whenever I need to get my yeast pitching calculations I use yeastcalc.com. Not sure if you have or not but check it out.

+1 on using yeastcalc.com...

Also, it's vials of yeast, not vile...

vile

/vīl/
Adjective

• Extremely unpleasant.
  • Morally bad; wicked: "as vile a rogue as ever lived".

Synonyms
mean - base - villainous - nasty - foul - scurvy - sordid

Vial

Yea the Yeast section get a little confusing. I know when I brew 5gal. I just use one vile and do a 1L starter with stir plate. So should I just buy 2 viles and do a 2L starter? I have washed and reused my yeast before but just trying to get a better handle on measuring and/or weighing yeast now that we are starting to do bigger size batches.

1L starter is plenty for 5 gallons unless you're brewing something big like a barleywine or otherwise imperial beer.

1L starter is plenty for 5 gallons unless you're brewing something big like a barleywine or otherwise imperial beer.

Not true... A 1L starter MIGHT be ok for 5 gallons of lower OG beer, with very fresh yeast. Go bigger, or even a little older, and that goes right out the window. Fill in the parameters on yeastcalc.com and see for yourself. Plug in the production date of the yeast too. Unless you're getting yeast that's less than 2 weeks old, and brewing something under 1.060 for the OG, 1L quickly becomes insufficient (for a single step, with a stirplate). Remove the stirplate (intermittent shaking) and your OG drops to no more than 1.045 with a 1L starter.

Pitching proper yeast slurry/cell counts is one of the easiest ways to improve your beers. It's not rocket science here, and easily done. With a couple of pieces of equipment (stirplate, 2-3L flask, and stirbars) you can easily get enough yeast for even a BIG brew. You'll need to do a 2 or 3 stepped starter, but that's not difficult. If anything, it's one of the easier things you can do.

Yeah I just needed to change my package date in BeerSmith and that changed everything. Thanks

+1 on using yeastcalc.com...

Also, it's vials of yeast, not vile...

vile

/vīl/
Adjective

• Extremely unpleasant.
  • Morally bad; wicked: "as vile a rogue as ever lived".

Synonyms
mean - base - villainous - nasty - foul - scurvy - sordid

Vial

Wow...thanks for the help...this was pretty vile in itself...:smack:

Back