new keggle - now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kulprit

Reaction score
Ok so I have a keg that I am going to convert to a keggle.

It seems I have been so focused on trying to figure out how to convert it by cutting the top off that I failed to notice there is more to it.

I am looking around for someone that can plasma cut it for me - but if not I will just use an angle grinder - no big deal.

But now I see you all add valves etc to your keggles.

I was wondering if someone can explain to me what I should also be adding? I did try to do a search but frankly I am not sure what I am searching for so it didn't really accomplish anything.

Wow, this is like the second time I'm gonna burn Biermuncher in like 3 days!

Ask Biermuncher.:D

You want at least one valve for draining. Some people have another one for a thermometer or a site gauge or both. You can get weldless ones or you can have a coupling welded into the keg.

Is it ok to just siphon the cooled wort out of the keg until I can get any adapters added to the keg?

Yeah it is - what's done is done - and I would rather not let this thread get distracted.

Yes, you can siphon out cooled wort for now. I just had three kegs welded, 3 couplings each, and it cost me $140. It was a little more than an hour and a half's worth of work. Weldless is probably easier and cheaper for a single keg bulkhead.

yup I'm going through the same process actually with my keg. I just had it plasma'd yesterday and here was the result.

You really can't beat a plasma cut. if you have the ability to have it cut with a plasma torch I would definitely recommend it!

I ordered two 1/2 inch SS couplers and threaded nipples from McMaster & Carr.

I drilled the holes in the keg and took it to a local welder who attached them for $10 and a couple of homebrews. :mug:

It turns out one of the guys I am doing this with has access to a plasma cutter at work. Guess I never mentioned it to him before - so that's handled next Saturday.

What are the pro's and con's on the fittings being weldless or not. I am sure I can handle the non welded fittings. Just drilling a hole and tightening the fitting no? The weld stuff would be a bit of a problem - but I might be able to get that done as well. Is it worth the extra cost and hassle? And why if you don't mind me asking?

So I know I want a drain valve - do I need a thermometer fitting as well? What about a looking glass (I think that's what it is called)?

Do I put the drain at the very bottom - or raise it up a bit to get it out of the crud? Approx how high if so?

Hope not too many questions - it's just a bit daunting the whole thing when you start from zero :)

well what I'm finding out being I'm going through the same process.

1) Finding someone you trust enough to do a good welding job. (Food grade weld) & generally the cost to weld stainless is usually higher. A really bad weld could ruin your keggle.

I'm going with a weld-less kit. I like the idea of being able to pull parts off for a good thorough cleaning. I like the idea of just drilling and go. Stock up on a few replacement o-rings and your set.

just my.02 cents :)

cheers,

newguy said:
well what I'm finding out being I'm going through the same process.

1) Finding someone you trust enough to do a good welding job. (Food grade weld) & generally the cost to weld stainless is usually higher. A really bad weld could ruin your keggle.

I'm going with a weld-less kit. I like the idea of being able to pull parts off for a good thorough cleaning. I like the idea of just drilling and go. Stock up on a few replacement o-rings and your set.

just my.02 cents :)

cheers,

That was pretty much what I was thinking - at least initially. If I really find I want weldless in the future I can worry about it then and do a whole new keggle or something.

+1 for Weldless. It's not as nice looking as a welded job, but it sure does work well. I couldn't find anyone willing to do it for free (or brew) so I went weldless.

I just couldn't bring myself to use NINE weldless bulkheads. That's just asking for a leak at some point.

By the way, there's really no need for a "food grade" weld on anything but a fermenter.

Bobby_M said:
By the way, there's really no need for a "food grade" weld on anything but a fermenter.

Exactly. ;)

The welder I took it to does extensive work on SS food processing equipment. All his welds are sanitary but unless it's for a fermenter, it's not crucial.

You can also silver solder fittings. In the old days, most SS was silver soldered and not welded. I did this with my keggles.

talleymonster said:
Wow, this is like the second time I'm gonna burn Biermuncher in like 3 days!

Ask Biermuncher.:D
Huh???

Whaaaattt???

;)

Keggle_3.JPG

Back