Natural Carbing and shaking to check for leaks....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesalvo

Reaction score
So, I am going to carb a keg with maple syrup. Ive only kegged one beer previously, and I was force carbing. I sealed the keg, and Turned it upside down to check for leaks. Should I not do this? Do I run the risk of oxidation?

I don't know hom much O2 will enter the beer if you do it, but the reason bottles are kept standing up straight is to keep the oxygen out, if you flip the keg, you are running the oxygen through all the beer. I know it wouldn't matter too much when on pressure because you wouldn't have any O2 when you flipped.

Charge it with your CO2 and if you have a ball style with the relief valve you can charge it and relieve it at the same time to get the O2 out of there.

I don't know hom much O2 will enter the beer if you do it, but the reason bottles are kept standing up straight is to keep the oxygen out[...]

Ummm....really? You don't think it has anything to do with keeping the yeast on the bottom? Or the fact that standing them on the cap is kinda hard to maintain? ;)

Cheers!

I say no problem since your only checking for leaks but I would purge the air out befor you turn it upside down. If you put 3-4 psi on the keg to purge te air out first then spray with a little starsan you will see bubbles if it leaking. Then release the pressure then add your priming fermentable.

Back