Brewtarget 1.2.3 - Free Open Source Brewing Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I used BrewTarget yesterday for an IPA on extract half boil. It worked great! I nailed the OG and it is fermenting nicely today.

I am going to do a Brew in a bag at 5 gallons for my next brew. How do I set a new equipment template for that?

Hi,
I used BrewTarget yesterday for an IPA on extract half boil. It worked great! I nailed the OG and it is fermenting nicely today.

I am going to do a Brew in a bag at 5 gallons for my next brew. How do I set a new equipment template for that?

I may be wrong becuase I don't have my laptop with me but I think BIAB is already an equipment option that was preloaded.

If not just click on the equipment icon and add new.

Good luck!

Hmmm.....NR?
Could you put the recipe XML file in drop box or something equivalent and post a link? I am suspecting round off errors, since the amounts are actually stored in kilograms. But it will be easier for me to find it if I can see your original recipe file.

Alternately, you can open a bug report on sourceforge and attach the recipe xml there.

Thanks

I may be wrong becuase I don't have my laptop with me but I think BIAB is already an equipment option that was preloaded.

If not just click on the equipment icon and add new.

Good luck!

Yeah, I understand that, but I need more specific info. The BIAB that is listed in equipment is for 2 gallons not 5. I've messed around with it but it doesn't seem right.

Downloaded this last night and just wanted to say thanks! Great program!
Just one question? Is there a way to switch a recipe from all grain to extract?

Downloaded this last night and just wanted to say thanks! Great program!
Just one question? Is there a way to switch a recipe from all grain to extract?

yeah...just use lme or dme instead of base malt...and dont select a mash. :ban::ban::ban:

Thanks. I'll try that.

And what I mean by that is don't use the mash wizard function...make sure there are no mash steps and from what I have deduced, it will be as if you are not mashing at all. Also, account for boil off if you are doing full boils, and if you are topping off, I would just create new equipment with 0 boiloff rate/hour. Select your final volume and you should be good. I need a beer. :drunk:

So I can't seem to add/edit the brewday instructions. I can delete them and generate them, but I cannot edit or modify them. Is this intended?

You guys rock... thanks for the very cool program. It's very cool to see the development. I'm still messing with it since I'm a noob to brewing, but it is nice to play with thus far.

Still trying to figure out how to get dry hopping into a build, but I figure there has to be something for this.
*edit* DUuuuhh..played with it for two days different occasions. Posted here and then 5 mins later I find the pulldown for dry hopping. Isn't that how stuff goes?*/edit*

Thanks again, and I shall have to contribute by way of donation since I can't help with programming knowledge.

I seem to be having problems importing my database. I upgraded my pc (win2k>Win7) and BT on the new PC doesn't see the backed up .xml files.

Is it just me?

I seem to be having problems importing my database. I upgraded my pc (win2k>Win7) and BT on the new PC doesn't see the backed up .xml files.

Is it just me?

So far, yes. I have done a few tests and I am not seeing the problem. But I am running on Linux and this may be an OS specific kind of thing. I will warm up my win7 vmware image and see if I can reproduce this.

Mik

Well, BT sees it, sort of. I doesn't see it (.xml) when restoring. Importing recipes it does. However, it didn't seem to import anything. Just the "basic" ones that came with BT.

Drag & drop the xml files from the back up to where BT is and still nothing. Any ideas?

So I can't seem to add/edit the brewday instructions. I can delete them and generate them, but I cannot edit or modify them. Is this intended?

I am also running Ubuntu, and the latest version of BT. I noticed that when I added another hop addition, it didn't show up. I can't add that step manually. When I insert the step, add the text, go to another step and then back to the manually added step, the text is blank.

I am also running Ubuntu, and the latest version of BT. I noticed that when I added another hop addition, it didn't show up. I can't add that step manually. When I insert the step, add the text, go to another step and then back to the manually added step, the text is blank.

I just noticed something similar. I am running Mac OSX 10.6. I added a yeast. There is a space labeled "Best For:" and one labeled "Notes:". When I populate the "Best For:" space the notes are not saved. The "Notes:" space seems to work fine.

Well, BT sees it, sort of. I doesn't see it (.xml) when restoring. Importing recipes it does. However, it didn't seem to import anything. Just the "basic" ones that came with BT.

Drag & drop the xml files from the back up to where BT is and still nothing. Any ideas?

Sorry, I found myself on an unexpected vacation at the beach. It kind of took priority :)

I tried this on my win7 vmware image and it didn't have a problem either. I am wondering a few things. The first thing I noticed is that you only select the directory the back files are in, not the files themselves. A quick check of the code verifies that we are expecting some very specific file names on those backups (recipes.xml for the recipes, database.xml for the equipment, hops, etc. and mashs.xml for you custom mashes). Can you verify that these are the names of the files you are trying to import? If the names are different, could you rename them and then retry the import?

Mik

When you say "didn't show up", which tab didn't it show up in? The Hops tab on the main window or in the brewday instructions?

Are you using version 1.2.3 or did you download the source from the svn repository and build? If it was the first option, I think rocketman has already fixed this around revision 460. If you have an older build from the source, try refreshing the code. I fixed a similar problem somewhere around rev 496.

If you are building from the most recent source, let me know and I will try to recreate the problem.

I just noticed something similar. I am running Mac OSX 10.6. I added a yeast. There is a space labeled "Best For:" and one labeled "Notes:". When I populate the "Best For:" space the notes are not saved. The "Notes:" space seems to work fine.

That is something new, I think. I will check into it.

I tried this on my win7 vmware image and it didn't have a problem either. I am wondering a few things. The first thing I noticed is that you only select the directory the back files are in, not the files themselves. A quick check of the code verifies that we are expecting some very specific file names on those backups (recipes.xml for the recipes, database.xml for the equipment, hops, etc. and mashs.xml for you custom mashes). Can you verify that these are the names of the files you are trying to import? If the names are different, could you rename them and then retry the import?

Mik

In by back up directory I only have; database.xml, recipes.xml and mashs.xml All files were output by BT. Both were using the latest version 1.2.3

I couldn't even import a single file :confused:

In by back up directory I only have; database.xml, recipes.xml and mashs.xml All files were output by BT. Both were using the latest version 1.2.3

I couldn't even import a single file :confused:

Nope, I am stumped. Would you be willing to zip your files up and email them to me? If you use drop box, that would be useful too.

Mik

Is there a way to keep the timers going when moving from one step to another. More than once I've started a timer, looked ahead to see water vols, hop additions, etc only to come back and see my timer reset to 0...I also can't get the beep function to work. Using win7 with volume up.

Do love the product though!

Is there a way to edit the brewing steps? I click on a step and edit the comments, but when I go to another step the comments go back to the default. I've tried saving the recipe between steps, but that doesn't work either. Any help would be much appreciated.

Is there a way to edit the brewing steps? I click on a step and edit the comments, but when I go to another step the comments go back to the default. I've tried saving the recipe between steps, but that doesn't work either. Any help would be much appreciated.

rocketman fixed this at the end of March. We are working towards a new release, but haven't scheduled anything definitive. You can either wait for the new release, or you can download the source from source forge and build the latest version (please! I have made some significant changes that likely broke all sorts of things and I need testers).

Mik

rocketman fixed this at the end of March. We are working towards a new release, but haven't scheduled anything definitive. You can either wait for the new release, or you can download the source from source forge and build the latest version (please! I have made some significant changes that likely broke all sorts of things and I need testers).

Mik

I am willing to test but don't know how to build anything using Qt on the Mac. It has been a while since I built anything Linuxy either.

mikfire said:

Mik

I'm not sure how to build anything. If you can tell me what to do I'd be willing to test.

I used this on my last brew. I like it it. Probably the most intuitive of brewing programs I have used.

I am running mac 10.6.8 and although I can download when I click on the app in my download folder I get an error message and unable to open application.
Here is the message I get in the dialogue menu:

Process: brewtarget [1214]
Path: /Users/ronhutchins/Downloads/brewtarget-1.2.3.app/Contents/MacOS/brewtarget
Identifier: brewtarget
Version: ??? (???)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [163]

Date/Time: 2011-07-11 18:34:33.343 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K540)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 680658 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 2
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 2
Anonymous UUID: F474C80C-345F-4178-9253-8A73CD216780

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: QtSvg.framework/Versions/4/QtSvg
Referenced from: /Users/ronhutchins/Downloads/brewtarget-1.2.3.app/Contents/MacOS/brewtarget
Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe4162b dyld 132.1 (???) <A4F6ADCC-6448-37B4-ED6C-ABB2CD06F448> /usr/lib/dyld

Model: MacBook4,1, BootROM MB41.00C1.B00, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB, SMC 1.31f1
Graphics: Intel GMA X3100, GMA X3100, Built-In, 144 MB
Memory Module: global_name
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x88), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.42.4)
Bluetooth: Version 2.4.5f3, 2 service, 12 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
Serial ATA Device: FUJITSU MHY2250BH, 232.89 GB
Parallel ATA Device: MAT****A DVD+/-RW UJ-857G
USB Device: iPod, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x1260, 0xfa200000 / 2
USB Device: Built-in iSight, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8501, 0xfd400000 / 2
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8205, 0x1a100000 / 2
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x0229, 0x5d200000 / 3
USB Device: IR Receiver, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8242, 0x5d100000 / 2

Fixed in rev 501.

Fixed in rev 501.

Cool, thanks.

Currently brushing up on my command line skills by updating my packages. My cmake was at v 2.6.2 and the mins for BrewTarget are 2.8. I don't know when the last time I did an apt-get update but I am guessing at least 2 years....sigh....

I have not looked for the latest source yet, I am still trying to build the latest "Stable" build.

At least I have a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout in my hand.

Hi all,
While attempting to install the QT SDK, I am told I "You need a C++ compiler to be able install the Qt SDK. Please install the latest Xcode first before invoking this installer!" in a dialogue box. I have no idea where to get this in order to proceed. Any ideas for those that have loaded this up?

Thanks.

Hi all,
While attempting to install the QT SDK, I am told I "You need a C++ compiler to be able install the Qt SDK. Please install the latest Xcode first before invoking this installer!" in a dialogue box. I have no idea where to get this in order to proceed. Any ideas for those that have loaded this up?

Thanks.

XCode is included with your operating system installation disks. It is usually on a second disk. If you are running on an "Mac Air" you will need access to a network drive to perform the installation. PM me if you need any assistance. I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than this.

Thanks Dahoov. I have no idea where my mac install disks are so I think I will start looking at Beersmith. Brewtarget 1.2.3 was attractive due to the relative low cost but honestly I am too lazy to root around for disks I may or may not have in order to add a program/file that I left off at install. Thanks again for the explanation and helping me understand my issue.

Thanks.

Thanks Dahoov. I have no idea where my mac install disks are so I think I will start looking at Beersmith. Brewtarget 1.2.3 was attractive due to the relative low cost but honestly I am too lazy to root around for disks I may or may not have in order to add a program/file that I left off at install. Thanks again for the explanation and helping me understand my issue.

Thanks.

Really? Qt is requiring you to have a compiler? I thought there was a binary-only download instead of the Qt source code.

Not sure I understood everything you just mentioned but yeah its a bummer that it doesn't just work out of the box like most things mac/apple.

Back