B Brite, how does it compare?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
I currently use PBW... I see B Brite for sale, but never hear anyone talk about it. So, is it any good? Does it compare to PBW?

I use B-brite for soaking bottles for label and beer stone removal based on a recommendation from the first homebrewer I ever met. It works great for that.

I have been using PBW recently to clean kegs and my boil kettle, mainly because it will handle higher temps. The B-brite instructions say warm water while PBW is good to 160F.

B-brite is a bit cheaper than PBW, too.

I use B-brite for soaking bottles for label and beer stone removal based on a recommendation from the first homebrewer I ever met. It works great for that.

I have been using PBW recently to clean kegs and my boil kettle, mainly because it will handle higher temps. The B-brite instructions say warm water while PBW is good to 160F.

B-brite is a bit cheaper than PBW, too.

I am generally soaking kegs, fermentors and such... temp not so much of an issue. Warm water? 120F? What the heck is warm?

Pretty much all I know about common alkaline homebrewing cleaning products....

B Brite is very similar to PBW.

PBW is sodium silicate, sodium percarbonate, sodium carbonate. B Brite is sodium carbonate and sodium silicate. Oxyclean is sodium percarbonate.

Sodium percarbonate is essentially sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide.

I think the sodium silicate is the substance that prevents the oxidation of soft metals and I think it is the substance that will clean carbon deposits. I also think it prevents the slick film that can form when you use Oxiclean with hard water.

Sodium carbonate can be found as "TSP Substitute" at most hardware stores.

Hope this helps.

Anyone used it? I mean will it clean the GUNK out of a fermentor like PBW? I mean, PBW strips the heck outta my keggle and fermentors, I love that

I use Oxiclean on alot of stuff the non perfumed one, carboys I use bleach, everythign always hot water. Soak kegs over nice in Oxiclean rinse real good call it a day. Works really good on stainless stuff very shiny after and works real good on aluminum but dont let it sit for more than an hour or so, it said not to. Cheers

I use full on OxiClean (Sun brand) now, no more PBW, B-Brite yadda yadda...

Cleans like a champ, it is SUPER cheap and readily available.

i used oxy on a couple wine bottles with some black crud stuck int he bottoms. no luck. poured in some PBW and hot water and they cleaned right up.
my PBW must have had the lid loose. it is all caked up and i have to carve chunks of it out, but it still works.

Never had anyhting that Oxi wouldnt clean... then again, I just clean kettles and krausen.

Back