American Stout Recipe Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
Well, I've only done one all grain stout before and it turned out pretty tasty but a little light on the roasted/coffee flavors. I'm wanting to make up a good American Stout, but highlighting the malts more than the hops. I plan on using Yakima Goldings for finishing hops and Nottingham yeast. Your input is appreciated! :mug:

Recipe: Black Hearted Stout
Brewer: Two Heads Brewing
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.09 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated ABV: 6.8%
Estimated Color: 55.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 63.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain Bill:
------------
11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 68.75 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.38 %
1.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 9.38 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.50 lb Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.13 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3.13 %

Hops:
------------
1.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 51.2 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.6 IBU

Yeast and Fermentation:
------------
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-)
Ferment @ 68F for 21 days
Keg @ 37F, force carb and serve after 1 week.

Mash Schedule:
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 16.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
60 min Mash - Add 5.00 gal of water at 166F for a target temp of 154.0F

Sparge with 4.8 gallons of 180F water to collect 7.1 gallons pre-boil.

definetly looks American,

sounds like a black hole, Cheers

definetly looks American,

sounds like a black hole, Cheers

So....does that mean it looks good? :D
I wasn't sure about the amounts of each of those items...I just want something dark, roasty, with some coffee flavors without being overly bitter or astringent.

I thought you were talking to yourself because of your avatars. :D

18.76% roasted malts is definitely a lot, but with 2 of them being 'lighter' (300L, 350L) I think you can probably get away with it. It may need a bit of extra aging time to smooth out though.

Assuming that 'black barley' is another name for 'black patent' I think I'd probably be reducing that one a bit, it will be more acrid than roasty (at least that's how I always perceive it).

Yeah, I think that 3 pounds of dark malts against 11 pounds of base malt is pretty heavy. I'm not sure you need both the chocolate and the black patent. I'd go with no more than a pound of roasted barley, and a half pound of black patent.

I thought you were talking to yourself because of your avatars. :D

18.76% roasted malts is definitely a lot, but with 2 of them being 'lighter' (300L, 350L) I think you can probably get away with it. It may need a bit of extra aging time to smooth out though.

Assuming that 'black barley' is another name for 'black patent' I think I'd probably be reducing that one a bit, it will be more acrid than roasty (at least that's how I always perceive it).

I asked for black patent at the LHBS, but she called it and labeled it "Black Malt". I suppose it's the same thing, or at least I'm assuming it is. So, I guess this grain bill is a little heavy on the roasted malts? What percentage of the total grain bill is advised for a stout?

What percentage of the total grain bill is advised for a stout?

For reference (and not as a recipe suggestion) Jamil's American Stout calls for:

15# two-row
.75# crystal 40
1# roasted barley
.75# chocolate

I'm getting ready to brew the Stone Imperial Stout and it calls for:

17# two-row
2# Amber
1.25# Roasted Barley
.5# Black Patent

Two different stouts, but both have a considerably lower percentage of dark grains than what you originally laid out.

Of course, yours might kick ass, who knows?

I asked for black patent at the LHBS, but she called it and labeled it "Black Malt". I suppose it's the same thing, or at least I'm assuming it is. So, I guess this grain bill is a little heavy on the roasted malts? What percentage of the total grain bill is advised for a stout?
Black patent is malted so I'd assume they are the same. For a dry stout you'd use about 10% roasted barley. When I'm using chocolate malt as a large percentage of that I'll often go higher since it is less roasty, maybe 15%. That's just me though and I don't make American stouts so take that with a grain of salt.

So how about this for the grain bill:

12.0# 2 Row
1.50# Crystal 60L
1.00# Roasted Barley
0.75# Chocolate
0.50# Black Barley (black patent)
0.50# Flaked Oats

Est OG: 1.071
Est FG: 1.017
Est ABV: 7.0%

I think you could cut that crystal malt back a bit too, especially if you're mashing at 154. But I'll certainly defer to those with more experience than me. :)

How long do you plan on aging this baby?

I think you could cut that crystal malt back a bit too, especially if you're mashing at 154. But I'll certainly defer to those with more experience than me. :)

How long do you plan on aging this baby?

I really do want it to be a bit sweet, that's just my personal preference and probably not quite to style. I plan to primary this for 4 weeks, then keg. Who knows how long it will take to taste good in the keg, I would guess another 3-6 weeks.

AFAIK, there is a pretty big difference between Black Roasted Barley and Black (Patent) Malt.
BPM:
blackpatent1.jpg

BRB:
roastedbarley1.jpg

I think those pictures are for what is normally referred to as "Roasted Barley" and "Black Patent". At my LHBS, I think they just labeled it oddly...Black Malt and Roasted.

All right, brewing this up tomorrow...but in an 11 gallon batch!!! Here's the recipe that I'm going with, please feel free to comment/critique.

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.00 %
Bitterness: 51.0 IBU
Calories: 269 cal/pint
Est Color: 41.6 SRM

Ingredients
20.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 78.43 %
2.00 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7.84 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1.00 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.92 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.96 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 1.96 %

2.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 43.6 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU

2 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash @ 155F for 60 minutes
Ferment for 21 days @ 68F

Check with your LHBS, but the Roasted Barley I've bought at most places is 500 lovibond, not 300 L. (I know, BeerSmith lists it as 300 L -- I've permanently changed mine in BeerSmith.) If the Roasted Barley you buy is actually 500 L, your Est. Color is probably going to go over 50 SRM, which might be overkill. If the Roasted you get at your LHBS really is 300 L, then this isn't such a big deal.

I just checked some websites. MoreBeer lists RB as 500 lovibond and Northern Brewer lists out as 500-600 lovibond. Ditto for AHS (500 L). Only Midwest Supplies lists a 300 L roasted barley (US -- Briess), though they also sell a 500L roasted barley (British -- Simpsons). I doubt you're getting 300L roasted barley.

Check with your LHBS, but the Roasted Barley I've bought at most places is 500 SRM, not 300 SRM. (I know, BeerSmith lists it as 300 SRM -- I've permanently changed mine in BeerSmith.) If the Roasted Barley you buy is actually 500 SRM, your Est. Color is probably going to go over 50, which might be overkill. If the Roasted you get at your LHBS really is 300, then this isn't such a big deal.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check on that. I looked at the grain and it was more like a very dark brown color, and significantly lighter than the black patent. Maybe I should just split the difference and mark it at 400srm?

Latest posts

Back