Hop Substitution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texaz01

Reaction score

I'm new here, but not a "newb" to brewing. That having been said, I find what topics run through this board as refreshing seeing new trends and ideas. Admittedly I am "old school" and was taught to brew full mash-style from my first batch. The question for advice I would pose here is to alternatives to British Blend hops and English Brambling Cross hops. What I am attempting to brew is an ESB recipe from my early days of brewing. The British Blend was for bittering and the Brambling Cross was for flavoring and finishing.

Any suggestions are appreciated... :mug:

[email protected]

Many thanks folks for the responses. The British Blend hops were a combination (as the name suggests...) of two different strains around 15 years ago. It should have been the portent of things to come since a lot of the "old" hops seem to no longer be available. Again, many thanks "Fishin' Dave" and "John Beere."

Our local brewery here in Butte, MT is sponsoring a competition and I decided it was time to dust off the old recipe file for some good old "knock-down, drag-out" kind of fun.

Cheers gentlemen!

"British blend" sounds like it would have probably been a mix of fuggles and golding. They are the two most dominant commonly used in bitters

Fuggles, Goldings / East Kent Goldings are both very appropriate. First Gold should work well, as should Challenger. Williamette would also be an acceptable substitute if those others are tough to come by.

Speaking of that, http://www.brew365.com/hop_availability_chart.php is updated frequently and helps you find what retailers have what varieties in stock.

Cheers and good luck!

:mug:

Many thanks for the responses! I also had wondered about Fuggles being mixed with something to create the "blend" as it was called. Too many miles and too many beers back to remember clearly, huh?

I think I'm going for the Fuggles to bitter this batch. I'll most likely use Goldings for the flavoring and finishing.

Thanks for the well-wishes on the competition!

Cheers!

British blend is a mix of British and European hops which is used for aroma. Like Widmer's Amalgam blend, the hops vary from year to year, but the results are consistent. I've run across the oil and it is extremely floral. Since your recipe used it for bittering, Fuggles is probably a good substitute.

Back