Lid blew off my yeast starter. Is this a big problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tried doing a 3 L starter in a 4 L jar with aluminum foil and the lid lightly securing the foil. The activity was so strong that the starter blew the lid off and was left open to the outside air (inside the house) for 2-8 hours. Should I throw the starter out or save it?

Save it. The krausen coming out has most likely kept anything from going in. Wipe the mouth of your container with a paper towel soaked in starsan and replace with new sanitized foil.

Yeah, and you need more headspace than 25%. I usually do a 800ML starter in a 2L Eflask and occasionally get the krausen crawlng out under the foil ( hey, it just wants to snuggle up and say "hi")

Just use the foil next time.

I agree that the yeast army is forging away in there. They should overcome any wee beasties that floated in. No matter how much you try, you will get bacteria in your wort. It is never a perfectly aseptic technique. You just want to reduce the amount and give the yeast a good start.

The rise and fall of the starter krausen seems to have left a lot of sludge stuck to the glass near the top of the jar. Anyone know if this sludge contains viable yeast cells and if so should I try to scrape it back into the starter liquid?

Thanks for the replies.

Its all viable yeast but dont get too hung up about it. Just swirl and pitch when the time comes. Dont muck around scraping stuff back in etc... The less you touch and handle this stuff the better!

Back