Belgian Golden Strong in PET bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valvefan

Reaction score
I am going to make a Belgian Golden Strong Ale and I plan to bottle condition.

I would like to carbonate to 4 volumes CO2.

Can I bottle condition in the 500ml brown PET plastic bottles with the screw caps?

Has anyone done this? Any problems?

I want to avoid bursting bottles.

Thanks for your help

Valvefan

I'm in a similar boat with my Belgian Golden Strong. I could keg it, but I'd like to put some in PET bottles too for a road trip/sharing with family. I have no fear of bursting; those bottles supposedly will take 80psi without too much trouble. I've used a carbonator cap for carbing up small batches in 2liter plastic bottles at 12-16psi without issue. I'd have to think you'll be closer to 12psi than you will be to 80psi.

negativereaction,

That is encouraging. Where did you get the 80 psi limit? I would like to read the reference.

Thanks!

Nothing scientific, and I have no way to measure it myself, but random googling on '2 liter bottles psi' will garner a lot of results from folks who tested it, and some who went past 100psi without failure. 80 seems as high as one would want to go, and there's no reason any of us homebrewers should ever go that high...unless it's for a really dangerous practical joke.

Random url: http://www.instructables.com/answers/how-much-psi-does-a-coke-bottle2l-hold/

Just a follow-up

The 500 ml PET bottles and Grolsch bottles worked perfectly for the Belgian Golden strong bottled conditioned to 3.5 volumes.

Thanks for all the help!

Valvefan

Back