Place for a good price on grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phogaboa

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I live in Bloomington, IN, and am a busted poor grad student. Some friends and I have been brewing and started doing all grain. While this is more economical than what we were doing with liquid malt extract, I'd like to further reduce costs by finding a good price on barley. The local brew shop charges over a buck and a quarter per pound for a 50 lb bag, yet I see norther brewer sells the same bag for $34, which is a bit south of a dollar per pound.

So, I'm wondering, where around Bloomington can a price similar to Northern's be found? I'd buy from northern, but the shipping cost makes it about the same as the local shop.

Northern Brewer moves a lot more grain than your LHBS, so they get a better price to start with. Add to it that they don't really have a store front/prime location (I may be wrong here), so they can sell at a bigger discount.

Your best bet would be to make friends with a local brewpub and see if you can "tag along" on their order(s).

MC

Actually, northern brewer has a couple of locations here in MN. Funny enough Midwest is not too far away from the Minneapolis location too. It had been nice having these two stores be my lhbs.

Back