Is it ok to be a member of 2 brew clubs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwedbrew

Reaction score
As the title suggests I am wondering what the etiquette is here, I am new to homebrewing and recently (in the last two months) joined a large brew club in the area, that I have thoroughly enjoyed being a part of. But a brand new brew club just started up in my hometown and I went to the first meeting to check it out. I think it would be great to be a founding member of a club like this and could be rewarding to help build it, however I don't want to loose the community and experience from the larger club I am already involved in. So would it be ok to be a member of both as long as I remain active/participating/volunteering in both?

depends...are they rival clubs?

:ban:

Like sharks and jets with beer bottles?

West-Side-Story-jets-vs-sharks.jpg

blackwedbrew, it's not like you're talking about motorcycle gangs and turf or something. No one cares if you do stuff with multiple clubs, it's not like the homebrew police are going to haul you off to BMC jail for hanging out with different groups of brewers....do what you want. More than likely you wont be the only one from the main group showing up at the other group's events.

You should be fine.. If anything it should benefit your knowledge for Brewing and you could help increase the knowledge for both clubs. If it comes down to Brewing Club Rivals and Brewing clubs disliking/hating eachother you shouldn't be in such negative clubs. One thing I've noticed of the Homebrewing community is that we do it for the love of brewing not to hate and wish the worst of a fellow brewer. In actuality we all help eachother no matter the club.

Thanks everyone, this got fun quick, I assumed there would be no issue with it. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't frowned upon.

But now all I can think about is what the homebrew police would look like... I am imagining a very unmotivated bunch of guys stumbling down the street with billy clubs and beer helmets writting tickets for drinking "lite" beers!

I'm a member of two clubs. One's focus is more social and the other is more brewing focused. I actually helped start the second as a splinter cell from the first. It was a little weird at first, but now multiples are members of each. Nobody cares and it's a lot of fun.

I seriously cannot imagine a way that this could be an issue. If anything, crossover membership could help make the clubs better.

I think I know which two brewing clubs you're talking about. :)

Originally, the JBG was going to meet on the first Wednesday of the month, but then we thought that it might conflict with the PALE meetings (they meet on the first Thursday of every month), so we moved the meetings to the second Wednesday of the month, in case people want to go to both meetings then it wouldn't be that big of a hassle for their schedules.

Although it would be kinda fun to start a rivalry between the two brew clubs for beer competitions! I look forward to seeing the President of PALE shaking his fist in the air and yelling "JAY BEE GEEEEEE!" when they come in second place to us!

I can't speak for PALE, but the JBG is okay with people being part of more than one club. For now. Until the PALE guys start to mess with us. Then it's ON, you rotten PALErs!

I think you could run into some real problems. Like, when you're getting ready for a meeting for club #1 and you can't remember if you wore your favorite beer shirt to the last meeting or if it was club #2. Then, after racking your brain, you'll be left to choose between your second tier brew shirts. And again, you have to remember if it's the guys from club #1 that make fun of shirt A or shirt B.

See??? I just don't know if it's worth it, bro...

I am a member of two clubs. One is more social than the other. Both have a great group of core members and both clubs encourage members to be part of other clubs.

Blackwedbrew - our brew club would shove a growler up your a** for joining a rival club. So put that in your pot and steep it.

Sounds like you have a Discovery Channel reality show on your hands. This would definitely be more interesting than Devil's Ride.

Oh, you just KNOW that someone's going to make that their brew club name now!

Hell yes. Make it a virtual brew club.
I'd join, as long as there were no dues and no meetings with the ever-present parliamentarian A-hole that all meetings seem to come with.

As long as one of them isn't the BN Army. F$&*! those guys!!! :fro:

Corporal Piratwolf
Southern Yeast Coast Division

Back