Blueberry wine question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a gallon can of Vintners Harvest blueberry. Followed instructions exactly. After 2 months, and 2 racking, the ABC is 6%, and sg was unreadable. Maybe .985? It didn't taste to great either.
Start up was 1.07. Am I correct in thinking there is no sugar left, the yeast consumed it all?

Wine-Em_Dine_Em said:
I bought a gallon can of Vintners Harvest blueberry. Followed instructions exactly. After 2 months, and 2 racking, the ABC is 6%, and sg was unreadable. Maybe .985? It didn't taste to great either.
Start up was 1.07. Am I correct in thinking there is no sugar left, the yeast consumed it all?

Blueberry wine can be tart. Sweetening it up helps by balancing out the acid.

Once it is clear and not dropping any more sediment, add metabisulfite and potassium sorbate. You can then safely sweeten without re fermentation.

Also, you have 10.5% ABV. 1.07-0.990 x 131 = 10.5% I used 0.990 because it doesn't go any lower, recheck your reading.

.990 is low as mine goes, but it measured less. Thanks for the advice, I think I just needed a little reassural.

I sweetened mine with pure blackcurrant juice... Worth trying.

Back