stainless conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchomebrew

Reaction score
anyone use the stainless conical type of fermenter?
so if i'm understanding it correctly....you primary....drain out the trub....secondary......drain more trub.....add priming sugar....and bottle. can all of those stages be accomplished in this one tank?
i still use glass carboy's, and have to rack back and forth everytime.

Yeah, you can do all that in the one vessel.

They also come with a sampling valve that you can take samples from to test. This is not right at the bottom so you dont get any trub/yeast in it.

If the lid is made correctly you can even serve beer out of it like a keg!

thanks for all the info. sounds much simpler. in the add for the fermenter it says you can drain the yeast and "re-pitch" if desired. what does that mean?

nchomebrew said:
thanks for all the info. sounds much simpler. in the add for the fermenter it says you can drain the yeast and "re-pitch" if desired. what does that mean?
It means you can pitch some of the trub you drain into a different fermenter for a new batch of beer. Or you can wash the yeast and save it for your next brew. This technique is not recommended if your current beer is a high gravity or IBU beer.
Craig

This may sound like an odd question, but do you move the conicals at any point and if so, how?

I keep my fermenters in a bedroom closet so it is not going to work to initially pour the wort into the SS conical in the bedroom or bottle in the bedroom. They look heavy from the pictures and it would seem to be difficult to move/carry when full of beer. I'm thinking of getting one in the November / December timeframe but I want to make sure that I can still have a process that works for my constraint of needing the fermentation to occur in the bedroom closet.

I don't have experience with a conical but I understand needing to ferment in a different location from your brew/bottling area.
The Fermenator has optional casters that can be used to move the fermenter if desired.
The 7 gal fermenter could probably be carried like you do your carboys or buckets.
Also there is no reason you could not just transfer the wort and finished beer in buckets and leave the fermenter in the closet.
I think I will move to kegging before I get a conical. That would save and steps when bottling because I could just transfer to the corny right in the closet.

Craig

Casters and moving the beer to a bottling bucket first are both good ideas. No need to take this thread in a completely different direction but the kegging / conical question has been on my mind because they both seem to save time.

CBBaron said:
I don't have experience with a conical but I understand needing to ferment in a different location from your brew/bottling area.
The Fermenator has optional casters that can be used to move the fermenter if desired.
The 7 gal fermenter could probably be carried like you do your carboys or buckets.
Also there is no reason you could not just transfer the wort and finished beer in buckets and leave the fermenter in the closet.
I think I will move to kegging before I get a conical. That would save and steps when bottling because I could just transfer to the corny right in the closet.

Craig

My 14.5 Blichmann's are heavier that hell when full. . .I don't recommend ever moving them full if you can help it. I leave my fermenters right where they are. I pump into them and keg out of them, and clean them in place.

Back