corona

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White Labs sells the Corona yeast strain seasonally (called Mexican Cerveza). I'd wait until you could get your hands on it, and do it right. Besides, the time of year for that kind of beer has just passed :D

Also, you need to have solid temperature control capabilities. As a new brewer, I'm guessing you don't, and if you can't ferment and condition it like a lager, it's really not even worth attempting. Not to mention that such a clean, light lager is going to make any slight problems with the beer very obvious. Pale lagers are considered some of the hardest beers to brew for a very good reason.

So, AT LEAST until the Cerveza yeast comes out, I'd brew some easier beers first to gain some experience. Jumping straight into lagers is never a good idea. And you can also use that time as an opportunity to set yourself up with a fermentation/lagering chamber.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but brewing Corona as a beginner is like trying to do a 720° backflip on your first day of snowboarding.

Plenty of recipes here. And even iirc links to some kits that are close.

anyone have a good corona clone recipe?

More in here

Although you can't lager probably at this stage, many kits for lagers are actually ales that use a clean neutral ale yeast, like us-o5, nottingham....actually if you could find a packet of cooper's sparkling ale yeast, or even bottle harvest it, if you can find the beer, that would be a great ale yeast to use for this.

This is a great info page on brewing mexican beers.

Set your sights on a Corona lager, but make a few light ales first. Brewing a good light lager is fairly difficult until you can set and keep lager temps and have solid practice building up the proper amount of yeast and aerating the wort.

A Corona clone is certainly doable, but IMO you'll need to be pretty good at general beermaking to have a shot at doing it right.

A light ale is much easier and comes close in most of the characteristics.

Cream Ale
Blonde
Kolsch
Steam Beer

Those are some styles that are close to lager and while still a challenge for the new brewer, would make great practice.

I'd also like to mention that if you are doing an extract version, the color will most likely be darker than you expect. Side effect from all of the processing that the malt company has to do to make their syrup. So if you can, go for the dry malt option.

You might want to buy a light ale kit from one of the major online stores. They are usually the best way to get started.

Try a corona without a lime, and see if you still want to make it.

I will not judge you, but corona is so bad it needs a lime to be drinkable IMHO.

If you still want to, it will be a lager, needing SPECIFIC temp control.

cheezydemon3 said:
Try a corona without a lime, and see if you still want to make it.

I will not judge you, but corona is so bad it needs a lime to be drinkable IMHO.

If you still want to, it will be a lager, needing SPECIFIC temp control.

I, on the other hand, WILL judge you! Haha. We all got into homebrewing, because we like beer...

There's nothing wrong with corona or any beer...It's BEER. Like what you like, drink what you want, and don't give a **** what other's think about it. Every beer has it's place and time.

Even after all the years brewing and especially drinking craft and imported beers since 1986, the best beer I ever had was ice cold Negra Modelo Especial bought for probably a dime a bottle in 2001, in Ensenada Mexico, and drank on a Sandbar in mexico with fish tacos where the fish was caught and fried within a half hour after is was pulled out of the bay. With a simple wedge of lime for both.

I, on the other hand, WILL judge you! Haha. We all got into homebrewing, because we like beer...

Touche!

Yeah I hated to post that, but my particular gripe with corona is the PRICE and the marketing.

Red stripe or even miller lite with a lime (regular old ML) taste way better in my opinion, and having to drink a few coronas without limes last vacation ruined me on it. I would have traded them for half the number of natty lites.

Touche!

Yeah I hated to post that, but my particular gripe with corona is the PRICE and the marketing.

Red stripe or even miller lite with a lime (regular old ML) taste way better in my opinion, and having to drink a few coronas without limes last cvacation ruined me on it. I would have traded them for half the number of natty lites.

My dad grew up in Los Fresnos and he was telling me the a while back how when it first came on the scene, Corona was just cheap mexican beer. Now it's "Imported."

DAMMIT!!!!

I am sorry!!

Drank a bunch of Miller lite with limes last night!!!!!!!

Hope he followed Revvy's links and brewed up a corona.

I honestly only bash corona and guinness. Wanna brew PBR? Hope it is for a joke or a bet, but I will not hate!

I hope you only bash Guinness DRAUGHT. It's watery and tasteless. But Extra Stout is definitely decent, and Foreign Extra Stout is great stuff.

Back