Kegging Hard Apple Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cttbax

Reaction score
Am I off my rocker here? I don't have any bottling equipment, but I have a spare corny keg and a kegerator set up. Could I make some cider and just put it in my kegging setup like beer? I haven't drank much cider (wifey loves it) is it carbonated? Has anyone had any luck kegging hard apple cider?

Yes lots of people keg Apfelwin which is basically apple cider. I have a keg of it myself. When I was researching this there was some concern about chrome plated faucets if you are dispensing with a kegerator - the cider is more acidic than beer than may eat away the chrome over time. I also read that people run it through chrome all the time with no worries. If you have stainless faucets then no worries at all.

I currently have 15 gallons in my basement condition in kegs. And I'm about to get another 15 fermenting.

I'm looking to keg a semi-sweet fizzy cider with my kegging set-up. What exactly is the advantage you are referring to?

I believe the advantage he is referring to would be with kegging there is zero risk of bottle bombs. You always have to be careful bottling semi-sweet or sweet ciders and meads... fermentation can spontaneously restart unless you leave it in secondary for a really long time or stabilize with appropriate chemicals.

I kegged and back sweetened my last batch of hard cider. It was great! Very smooth, like drinking apple soda and at 6% abv could really get the party started.
I usually just let it sit at 30psi for a couple days then back down to my normal 10-11psi to serve my beer with.

I am making my first apfelwein and was planning on kegging it. Was thinking that I wanted to back sweeten to make it semi dry rather than dry. I made a 5 gal batch. How much sugar should I use? Do I need to do anything to keep it from fermenting the the sugar added to back sweeten.

what do you need for a keg setup and is there another way of carbonating without conditioning or expensive equipment

if you know someone with a ball lock keg setup who will let you borrow some CO2 you can get carbonator caps, they fit a standard plastic soda bottle and have a ball lock post for a top

Back