SWMBO moving in and so it begins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would do everything you can to bring her to the dark side, a brewers assistant can prove very valuable on brew day and bottle day.

I joke about punching my wife all of the time and I abhor domestic violence. I've never even considered hitting her after drinking or otherwise. That's why it's called a joke. I'm going to start an organization for People Offended by Offended People (POOP). Someone can't offend you without your consent. If your idea of standing up for women's rights and standing against domestic violence is by criticizing a (funny) joke on a home brew forum you may want to redirect your efforts.

Very well stated. Where do I sign up for POOP?

KellyK said:
A woman's perspective to the OP, my husband and I brew together and are quite involved in it as a mutual hobby so we are fortunate not to have conflicts over where to store the equipment. Now we just fight over what to brew next. :)

However, my guess is that she's thinking the beer in the bathroom is kind of gross. She's seeing it as something that she's eventually going to drink housed in the same place that she's going to pee and poo. Either that, or she's one of those folks who has an aversion to things being spread out all over the house. Some people have real problems with clutter and a perceived "lack" of organization. Did you actually talk to her about WHY it is in the bathroom under your system and what her objection is to having it in the bathroom?

Also, IMHO, if you take the tactic that it's "YOUR" house and she can suck it if she doesn't like it she won't be sucking much of anything for very long. If you love the girl enough to have her move in, go with the flow when some of "your" stuff starts migrating to "ours." Just help her learn to love your hobby as much as she loves you (which I hope she does if she's moving in) and pretty soon you'll have her telling you to buy MORE carboys so she can brew too.

+1. Its all good. She likes to brew with me so its not that. Just have to add her stuff to all my stuff.
My carboy is in the bathroom because its about the only place to put it. I don't see it as dirty because its sealed. How is anything gonna get inside it?!

Its the stigma of the place. The bathroom isn't a proper brewhouse. Take the living room or family room. You don't have kids yet right? Obviously.

onthekeg said:
Its the stigma of the place. The bathroom isn't a proper brewhouse. Take the living room or family room. You don't have kids yet right? Obviously.

No kids yet. I honestly don't see a problem with it.

Why is my image of someone from NC using the bathroom for a fermentation room not a surprise? And why am I surprised that anyone who has a SHMBO would not respect a person that is obviously in control of their life? I think I am kidding but i do have the question in my head.

+1 ...
no one is advocating violence or abuse of anykind

Truth. I've never struck my wife and if I ever did I probably wouldn't talk to her. Not because I would be mad, but because I wouldn't DESERVE to talk to her.

I thought I was obvious enough with my post that everyone would know it was a joke. Some people just enjoy getting offended I guess.

I would do everything you can to bring her to the dark side, a brewers assistant can prove very valuable on brew day and bottle day.

I joke about punching my wife all of the time and I abhor domestic violence. I've never even considered hitting her after drinking or otherwise. That's why it's called a joke. I'm going to start an organization for People Offended by Offended People (POOP). Someone can't offend you without your consent. If your idea of standing up for women's rights and standing against domestic violence is by criticizing a (funny) joke on a home brew forum you may want to redirect your efforts.

I'm a member of the facebook group.

iaefebs said:
Why is my image of someone from NC using the bathroom for a fermentation room not a surprise? And why am I surprised that anyone who has a SHMBO would not respect a person that is obviously in control of their life? I think I am kidding but i do have the question in my head.

What an ass! Rednecks are in every state in country! Even New Englanders do stupid s#@t like this.

What an ass! Rednecks are in every state in country! Even New Englanders do stupid s#@t like this.

Yeah it was an "ass" statement I was just thinking that I would move my ferment out of the bathroom so the swmbo could clean herself up once in a while without a fermenting batch of beer in the tub between her legs

If you hit your wife, she's a battered wife. If you drink a home brew and hit your wife, is she a beer battered wife?

I just told that to my SWMBO and she said "That's not even cool! That's not funny!" while laughing her ass off. :D

to the OP... I agree on seizing this chance to build an epic brewshed. It's like when my SWMBO complained about all the bottles... so I suggested kegging as a solution and she agreed! :mug: Take the opportunities as they're given!

"Why is my image of someone from NC using the bathroom for a fermentation room not a surprise?..." I was wondering how far of a walk it was from the house to the fermentation room...

It seems perfectly natural to brew in the bathroom and then you return it to the same place when your body is done with it. Tell her that . . .

and then duck.

Screw ducking if she doesn't understand the cycle of life then she doesn't love you.

A woman's perspective to the OP, my husband and I brew together and are quite involved in it as a mutual hobby so we are fortunate not to have conflicts over where to store the equipment. Now we just fight over what to brew next. :)

However, my guess is that she's thinking the beer in the bathroom is kind of gross. She's seeing it as something that she's eventually going to drink housed in the same place that she's going to pee and poo. Either that, or she's one of those folks who has an aversion to things being spread out all over the house. Some people have real problems with clutter and a perceived "lack" of organization. Did you actually talk to her about WHY it is in the bathroom under your system and what her objection is to having it in the bathroom?

Also, IMHO, if you take the tactic that it's "YOUR" house and she can suck it if she doesn't like it she won't be sucking much of anything for very long. If you love the girl enough to have her move in, go with the flow when some of "your" stuff starts migrating to "ours." Just help her learn to love your hobby as much as she loves you (which I hope she does if she's moving in) and pretty soon you'll have her telling you to buy MORE carboys so she can brew too.

Whatever.... It was a joke. A very funny joke.

If you talk to any comedians they'll tell you that if you don't have people getting offended by your jokes they just arn't that funny! The humor lies in the awful truths that life affords us. on a second note, my SWMBO doesn't like beer (OMG) and puts up with all my hobby non-sense and I even managed to get her to agree to be my brewing assistant. How? by agreeing that she needs to buy some sexy clothes to strut around in the driveway while assisting on brew day!

If you talk to any comedians they'll tell you that if you don't have people getting offended by your jokes they just arn't that funny! The humor lies in the awful truths that life affords us.

I think the distinction lies in what you're trying to convey through the use of the joke.

Are you telling the joke in a way that ends up pointing out life's hypocrisies, and problems- Or are you telling a joke that just ends up painting something serious as humorous?

The ability to understand why you're telling a joke is one of the reasons not everyone is fit to be a comedian.

The thing that makes a joke a joke is actually the intention behind said joke. If you intend for the topic to be a joke it is. If there is hate behind the comment it's not a joke.

Someone going through chemo compares themselves to "Powder without the cool powers". Some people would get offended by that even if the cancer patient who made the joke was laughing. Therein lies the problem. People are too quick to get offended by what was said rather than look at the intention behind what was said.

What an interesting first post for a beer forum...

haha i know man sorry. i've been reading stuff here for a while and i've learned a ton. i'll post beer stuff too. i'm a total hophead.

anyway i saw this thread and it pissed me off so i finally made an account. i nearly got kicked out of my school a few years ago for making a joke post on there forums about shooting cops and somebody thought it was "threatening". i hate feeling like i have to watch what i say every second because some liberal is going to get there feelings hurt.

Not all ladies like fruit beers, mine will only drink a porter or a stout!

My wife used to only drink porters and stouts. I got her into ipa's with time and patience. Depending on her mood she stay's within the porter, stout, ipa mode. She doesn't like fruity beer but I have a raspberry belgian that I am going to have her try.

Humor is a funny thing (no pun intended).

People will say all sorts of atrocious things and think that simply claiming that it was a joke should make it OK. As if it is the other person's fault for getting upset.

And of course in our world of political correctness we have raised a bunch of wimps who run around policing everyone's vocabulary and demanding appologies every time and "illegal" word was used. They have never been taught that listening means trying to grasp what was intended by the statement.

Now I know everything here was intended to be a joke. And that's fine, you have your freedom of speech. However, it is perfectly fine for others to excersize their freedom of speech and let you know the joke was not funny. If you don't want to hear other people "boo!" your jokes, don't tell any.

There is a line that can be crossed. Poking fun at our humanness and our inability to get along with another half of humanity that we are supposed to get along with can be cathartic.

To the jokes here:

SWMBO - chuckle

beer-battered-wife - LOL

"punch her in the face" - chuckle (But I can imagine some readers may actually have had this done and not find it funny)

the photo of the woman in anguish - not funny, too realistic, BOOO!

Humor is a funny thing (no pun intended) the photo of the woman in anguish - not funny, too realistic, BOOO!

Yeah, I understand. Originally it was probably a public service poster that tried to reveal the horrors of abuse. I understand.

I still found humor since every time I see the motivational poster, I'm being fed a joke.

Perhaps the scenario really hits home for some members.

Yeah, I understand. Originally it was probably a public service poster that tried to reveal the horrors of abuse. I understand.

I still found humor since every time I see the motivational poster, I'm being fed a joke.

Perhaps the scenario really hits home for some members.

I see what you did there...

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

If you talk to any comedians they'll tell you that if you don't have people getting offended by your jokes they just arn't that funny! The humor lies in the awful truths that life affords us. on a second note, my SWMBO doesn't like beer (OMG) and puts up with all my hobby non-sense and I even managed to get her to agree to be my brewing assistant. How? by agreeing that she needs to buy some sexy clothes to strut around in the driveway while assisting on brew day!

IMO in comedy NOTHING is off limits. The best and most loved comedians are the ones that hold nothing back. Carlin, Lampanelli, Tosh, Pryor, Eddie Murphy, etc.... If you like watching roasts then you get the idea. Not everything is sugar plums and candy canes.

Essentially, if you don't like it turn the channel or read another thread.

IMO in comedy NOTHING is off limits. The best and most loved comedians are the ones that hold nothing back. Carlin, Lampanelli, Tosh, Pryor, Eddie Murphy, etc.... If you like watching roasts then you get the idea. Not everything is sugar plums and candy canes.

Essentially, if you don't like it turn the channel or read another thread.

Of course that's not true. You wouldn't tell a joke about, say, how much fun it is to drive drunk to a woman who's child was just killed by a drunk driver. Or if you would, you're a sick puppy. These comedians you list? They were geniuses for knowing their audiences, not for spouting out whatever crap came into their head.

Of course that's not true. You wouldn't tell a joke about, say, how much fun it is to drive drunk to a woman who's child was just killed by a drunk driver. Or if you would, you're a sick puppy. These comedians you list? They were geniuses for knowing their audiences, not for spouting out whatever crap came into their head.

How do you know said woman might not be in that crowd of attendees at such a comedic performance?

The point is some people are too easily offended. Obviously there are some abrasive issues, but like you say if they know their audience it is not off limits.

Obviously like most things we all have filters based upon who we are with at any given time. Guys aren't going to tell a dirty joke about a woman in front of most women. That doesn't make it off limits and vice versa.

The only way I see to be offended is if you or I are the butt of a joke and it is a cruel one.

To each their own.... :mug:

I have three SWMBO in my house the wife and two daughters.

I brew either outside or in the kitchen, usually depending on the weather.

My wife will drink an occasional glass of wine or maybe even a jack and coke, but she cannot stand beer...more for me. My kids, being teenagers are too young...even more for me.

If I get the bug to brew something when my friends are not around, all three of my girls will often pitch in and help me out with various tasks. My wife even bought me my first real brewing setup about 5 years ago for my birthday (for about 3 years prior to that I was a Mr. Beer maker)

My wife knows my hobbies and what comes with it...and helps support me as well. I know hers and what comes with it (she's a makeup artist) We keep our messes to a minimum and spend a good few hours cleaning up and getting everything put away.

As for finances, we share a checking account and all bills are paid from that without any division, but we both have one credit card (mine for beer supplies and ingredients, and hers for markup and supplies)

I must have picked the wrong thread. thought it would be about brewing. now i don't even remember what the original post was about. i'll just stick to brewing from now on.

wait, Lampanelli ? seriously?

She's a moderately amusing rude beyotch but does not belong with the others in that list.......

and Tosh has a ways to go to belong too.

anyway i saw this thread and it pissed me off so i finally made an account. i nearly got kicked out of my school a few years ago for making a joke post on there forums about shooting cops and somebody thought it was "threatening". i hate feeling like i have to watch what i say every second because some liberal is going to get there feelings hurt.

So, conservatives don't get their feelings hurt? :confused:

And it's their, not there. ;)

Latest posts

Back