You're not seriously considering brewing with kitty litter, are you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
We're cat-sitting for a friend while she finds a new place to live. She brought over this fancy-pants kitty litter for her cat to use. As far as I can tell, it looks just like flaked wheat, crushed up into tiny kernels. The box says it has no clay, added chemicals, fragrances, or any other harmful additives, just 'enzymes' to help absorb messes. I'm not seriously considering making a brew with a box of cat litter, but my curiosity is getting the better of me. Would it really work for a wheat beer?

What? Why are you all looking at me like that?

Alternately, could I use the spent grains as kitty litter? :fro:

Back away from the litter box, eviltwin! I think scatbiere is going a bit far. I can't even imagine people paying loads of money for the cat**** coffee, let alone brewing beer with something meant to hold kittie's offal.

ooooo *before* the cat uses it. hmmm better write that down.... *scribbles in notebook* I wonder if I could combine this with the duck feed corn and get a mash going....

Yea I thought that was just mind boggling too, someone actually paying a lot of good money for something the cat will leave doggie treats in.

Hold still while I beat that idea out of you :D

It might work, but keep in mind there could be anything else in there even if they use just Wheat because it isn't a food product. So chaff and all that jazz. Field weeds. Bird poo. etc...etc. :p

"something the cat will leave doggie treats in."

A little like rolling chocolate truffles in coconut. Quality counts.

Website says non-food grade.... though they talk about enzymes..... hmmm....

BTW that's just wrong, if it does work then it won't taste very good...

eviltwinofjoni said:
Some BMC drinkers say that about our brew, Damn Squirrels.

Because after all "nothing is as refreshing as water and rice, even if it tastes like cat piss." Hey, you think a BMC drinker would drink Kitty Litter Lager, or Fresh Scoop Stout?

Organic kitty litter, duck feed, is this the beginnings of the farm hooch thread?

Back