Dry hopped too soon, solutions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakead

Reaction score
I took a reading on my 2 below clone the other day and it was steady at 1.018. At the time it seemed high but it was steady for 2-3 days and I had been dealing with some stuck fermentation's so i just chalked it up to that.

Anyway, 2 days after throwing the hops in I start to see see airlock activity and I can now assume that its working its way back to that 1.014 FG that I was shooting for. Im getting about 1 bubble a minute.

I know that dry hopping too soon can have ill effects on the aroma from the hops. I dry hopped two ounces and would hate for that to go too waste. Would it be beneficial to throw some more hops in there after another week?

I say toss in more hops but my vote doesn't count because I always vote for adding more hops when dry hopping a beer...

If you had consistent gravity then the airlock bubbling is probably not restarted fermentation but rather CO2 coming out of solution due to adding nucleation sites --

"Pellet hops also have to be weighed, but are probably the easiest type of hops to pour through a carboy neck. They are also easy to put into a bag, but only a very fine bag will contain the powder when they dissolve.

On the other hand, pellets can cause a sudden eruption of foam that will have you scrambling for a towel and wondering what sort of alien being has taken over your beer. This is because as the pellets break apart (almost immediately) they provide thousands of nucleation sites for the CO2 in the beer to attach itself and come out of solution. Be careful and go slowly when adding pellet hops to any nearly full container.

http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/37-hops/573-dry-hopping-techniques

Back