What makes a beer smooth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taa800

Reaction score
I've had some good beer, and I have some good, smooth beer. A beer that feels very soft when you drink it. What makes a beer smooth? And can this be done with extract brewing?

Thanks
Todd

I'm not sure what you mean by smooth. Easy drinking, and not bitter? Or "clean" flavored? Or lager-like, which I think of as "crisp"?

Can you name a commercial beer or two that has the flavor that you're thinking of? That can help us to figure out what you might be looking for.

I'm not talking about smooth in flavor, more how it feels on your tongue. I had a beer called Dragon's Milk from New Holland brewery. Very smooth. I would also consider Guiness a smooth beer.

A little chloride from either table salt or calcium chloride can give a beer some roundness.

In Dragon's Milk, it is primarily tannin from oak aging.

I've heard that Yakima Magnums will make your lager so smooth, it's like a laxative.

i think you are talking about "mouthfeel" perhaps. Try a 1/2 pound of carapils (dextrine) for 5 gallons which wont affect the flavor so much but adds in my mind smoothness.

i think you are talking about "mouthfeel" perhaps. Try a 1/2 pound of carapils (dextrine) for 5 gallons which wont affect the flavor so much but adds in my mind smoothness.

That's what i thought as well. Mouthfeel is the right word for that. . . or we can say smooth for smoothies? :p

Sometimes, just a little time is all that's needed. A good stout, for example, benefits from time in the bottle, in my experience anyway.

Hmmm... I'm thinking you are looking for mouthfeel as well and Carapils/Dextrine malt will give you what you are looking for...

Here are some terms to describe mouthfeel:

Thin
Flat
Highly Carbonated
Full-Bodied
Medium-Bodied
Light-Bodied
Creamy
Robust
Coarse
Silky
Chewy
Velvety

A similar question... how does Left Hand get their Milk Stout so velvety smooth and thick? I can't even come close to reproducing it.

What is carapils? Is this an adjunct grain that is steeped in an extract recipe?

I've had some good beer, and I have some good, smooth beer. A beer that feels very soft when you drink it. What makes a beer smooth? And can this be done with extract brewing?

Thanks
Todd

Diacetyl, a byproduct of fermentation, is commonly known to give beer a buttery, smooth flavor. At higher levels, this butteriness becomes a butterscotch flavor and is usually considered undesirable.

What makes a beer smooth?
Oats is another thing that no-one has mentioned. That is what provides the silky mouthfeel in an oatmeal stout and some brown ales.
And can this be done with extract brewing?
Not to my knowledge, but not much equipment would be required to incorporate some in a partial mash. Use 5-10% and make sure you are mashing it with a malt with high diastatic power if you are only doing partial. 6-row is best for this AFAIK.

I realise that you are probably not planning on doing a partial mash at this stage, but the information is there if/when you feel comfortable with the process. :)

In Dragon's Milk, it is primarily tannin from oak aging.

I've heard that Yakima Magnums will make your lager so smooth, it's like a laxative.

How would tannin contribute to smoothness? As I understand it, tannin is usually responsible for a dry, tacky mouthfeel.

Oats is another thing that no-one has mentioned. That is what provides the silky mouthfeel in an oatmeal stout and some brown ales.

Not to my knowledge, but not much equipment would be required to incorporate some in a partial mash. Use 5-10% and make sure you are mashing it with a malt with high diastatic power if you are only doing partial. 6-row is best for this AFAIK.

I realise that you are probably not planning on doing a partial mash at this stage, but the information is there if/when you feel comfortable with the process. :)

Oats would be my guess too, I love a good oatmeal stout, very smooth, velvety.

Back