LOVE or PID to control Brutus Solenoids?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 40839

Reaction score
Afternoon all!

So am (still) kicking around building a brutus, and am (still) amassing a cost for this to present to SWMBO for final budget approval. Nearly there, tho.

When it comes to controlling ye olde solenoid valves though, I've got a bit of a question. I know the Love TS-13010 are the controllers of choice for the Brutus, $65 a pop from Dwyer, plus shipping. Fair enough.

However.

My evil cohort has suggested that
a PID like this one would be able to do the same thing, as well as displaying the target AND current liquid temps (which I'd find handy!), for almost half the price?

I've found tons of threads of folks using these for e-keggles, but nobody (as yet) for a Brutus. I'm assuming (as usual) that the draw from a solenoid valve like the STCs or ASCOs wouldn't require the use of a SSR either?

Well, the cost savings are nice (although kinda negligible when you figure in the cost of thermocouples as well), but I was really digging the fact that the PID displayed current AND target temp right there.

subscribed. i'm right there with you, shopping for control panel parts. i saw the same one on ebay just a few hours ago. I'll be curious as to what everyone else says, but I'm thinking it will work. Look at Lonnie Mac's Brutus Clone's on his website and you'll see all sorts of temperature controllers.

As long as it has the proper Output voltage type and rating, and can handle the current draw of the valve, it will work. That's what you need to look at compared to your valves.

subscribed. i'm right there with you, shopping for control panel parts. i saw the same one on ebay just a few hours ago. I'll be curious as to what everyone else says, but I'm thinking it will work. Look at Lonnie Mac's Brutus Clone's on his website and you'll see all sorts of temperature controllers.
Hmm, well as Lamar says, a solenoid really needs two states, on and off.

Since I can't verify if the one on ebay offers on/off control (seems that the Auber flavour has "new" features) then I don't think this ebay one would work for controlling a solenoid, since there's no real variable curve involved. (for example with a heating element, the PID will slowly reduce current as it approaches target temp, valve doesn't really work like that, it's either on or off, and messing around with the current to the valve could cause issues.)

Those on here who... what's the word I'm looking for... oh yeah, know what they're talking about (unlike me!) can please correct me if I'm wrong. :D

(Also, I'm using a lot of parenthesis lately...)

Hmm, well as Lamar says, a solenoid really needs two states, on and off.

Since I can't verify if the one on ebay offers on/off control (seems that the Auber flavour has "new" features) then I don't think this ebay one would work for controlling a solenoid, since there's no real variable curve involved. (for example with a heating element, the PID will slowly reduce current as it approaches target temp, valve doesn't really work like that, it's either on or off, and messing around with the current to the valve could cause issues.)

Those on here who... what's the word I'm looking for... oh yeah, know what they're talking about (unlike me!) can please correct me if I'm wrong. :D

(Also, I'm using a lot of parenthesis lately...)

Well, all of the PIDs you see people using on here have digital outputs. The SSRs are switched frequently to emulate an analog output. With that said...
The one lamar posted would be my recommendation, the relay contacts in the controller shouldn't have an issue controlling a solenoid. I bought a few of the chinese PID controllers on e-bay which was a mistake. Their support sucks butt, I had to find the documentation to the controller they ripped off to answer my questions.

Well, all of the PIDs you see people using on here have digital outputs. The SSRs are switched frequently to emulate an analog output. With that said...
The one lamar posted would be my recommendation, the relay contacts in the controller shouldn't have an issue controlling a solenoid. I bought a few of the chinese PID controllers on e-bay which was a mistake. Their support sucks butt, I had to find the documentation to the controller they ripped off to answer my questions.
Cheers for that, Code. More and more tho, I'm starting to think that as nice as it would be to have the dual readout, just going with a tried and tested temp switch like ye olde Love TS-13010 might solve some potential headaches.

Here's another question, tho - anyone know of a nice countdown timer to use in a control panel?

I'm not going to try to talk you out of the Love controller, The Auber isn't any more complicated and they are pretty tried and true as well. Not to mention more bang for your buck.

Usually the programmable timers are insanely expensive (%150+). Just found this one at auber, which is a stinking steal. ASL-51

I'm not going to try to talk you out of the Love controller, The Auber isn't any more complicated and they are pretty tried and true as well. Not to mention more bang for your buck.

Usually the programmable timers are insanely expensive (%150+). Just found this one at auber, which is a stinking steal. ASL-51
Great googaly moogaly, that's more than I want! I was thinking just having a wee kitchen timer type dealie that I could use for hop additions, etc., and figured there'd be something uber basic that could be wired in as opposed to clipping something on from Bed Bath and Beyond!

Lol, yeah. I've seen some people managed to mount an egg timer to their CPs that looked okay. Really is an awesome deal though and for the price I don't think you are going to find something industrial that will come close. Just my opinion :D

Edit-
Actually I may order one to use as a timer.

Back