Question about crystal malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finchy

Reaction score
Just starting out and learning fast, but i have a question and figured this was the place to ask.........

I am looking for clarification on Crystal malts. What does the "55° L" mean?? I notice different numbers following the "° L" (like 55, 60, 120 etc)part in different recipes. My local supply shop stocks minimal ingredients and i'm curious how crucial the differences are. Any help/advice/direction is GREATLY appreciated!

l = lovibond. It's a rating of the color. Higher numbers = darker malts. Darker malts are more highly kilned and the extra roasting changes the flavor.

crystal 40 may taste like toffee
crystal 60 may taste like caramel
crystal 120 may taste like raisins

Nice...I had asked the same question in a new thead I just created in the last hour. However I am still waiting for approval from a mod :(

Fortunately I had many other questions in my post so it'll still be relevant when it shows up!

As others have said, the L is a color-rating, but the Lovibond rating alone won't tell you all of the characteristics of the grain, unless it's all within the same variety.

For example, moving from Caramel/Crystal 10L to 20L, 30L... up to 120L will increase not only its color but also the degree of caramel and fruit aromas/flavors. Basically the caramel flavor gets more and more fuller until about 60L, then to an increasing dried fruit flavor as it approaches 120L.

However, I just bought some Special Roast - 50L, which had a toasted biscuit aroma, way unlike the aroma from a Caramel/Crystal 40L or 60L.

Don't confuse caramels with toasted malts. Caramels have an additional processing step with results in complex sugars being formed, then they get kilned.

Also, the little circle above the number is for degrees, just like in temperature, so if you want to read out 55° L, you would say "55 degrees Lovibond".

Back