Don't ask me why, but....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenmc

Reaction score
For some reason last night I thought of a question I simply HAD to know the answer to.
Is there such a thing as Coors non-light? I mean regular full fat, high alcohol Coors? All we have over here in Ireland and the UK (at least that I've noticed, not that I've looked hard) is Coors Light.
Just curious as to what it's "Lighter" than, if there's not a regular coors.
I'll stop now.
Thanks all
K

There is. It was once legendary - Coors Banquet Beer, it is technically called. Years ago - maybe in the 70s - there were stories of how people from out west would have cases of it shipped east because they could not live without it. They did not distribute it east of the Mississippi back then. In 1976, some friends and I took a west coast road trip and tried it. We could not understand the buzz - it was OK but nothing special. Olympia (from Washington state) seemed to me to be a lot better.

Back then there were few regional or local beers - this was at the peak of all the consolidations here, and everything seemed to be Anheuser, Miller, Coors and Schlitiz.

oh I figured that I wasn't missing anything, just curious how come Coors Light are so big into their marketing over here, but nothing about regular coors. Don't drink bud/miller/coors light anyway, so coors wasn't even going to get a tasting.

Regular Coors tastes pretty much just like Coors light, which is to say just like cat pi$$, as the esteemed representative from The Colony pointed out above.

Brothers,
Your assesment of Corrs is unfair. Do none of you remember the great theatrical classic, " Smokey and the Bandit" ? Burt Reynolds and Jerry Reed set out from Atlanta to pick up a load of Coors from Texarkana ( think that's how the song goes) at great risk to themselves while being persued by ( sorry, Kephren) the cream of American law enforcement. They could've been after Schaefer, or even PBR, but no!!!!, they chose Coors. Give credit where it's due. It really is a great beer if you can't find any PBR.

I don't care if Smokey and Gidget did like it, that 3.2 abv stuff they forced on us poor innocent okies cost me 30 years of beer drinkin, and I'm bitter dangit. :mad:

El Pistolero said:
I don't care if Smokey and Gidget did like it, that 3.2 abv stuff they forced on us poor innocent okies cost me 30 years of beer drinkin, and I'm bitter dangit. :mad:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can blame Coors for 3.2% beer in Oklahoma. You can blame Oklahoma politicians and the state's backward alcohol laws. When I lived in Tulsa in the 1960's-early '70's, IIRC, 3.2% beer was all stores were allowed to sell. And you couldn't get buy liquor by the drink (LBTD) at a restaurant, either! :mad: I was much too young to drink at the time, but I still remember my parents complaining about it. It seemed every election year my parents signed a petition trying to enact LBTD and every election year, the referendum would lose!

When we moved to Chicago in 1973, those dark clouds parted! ;) When friends and relatives from Oklahoma and Texas drove up for visits, they would fill the pick'em up truck full o' booze because you could get any 'octane' you wanted and it was cheaper than just about anywhere else, except Wisconsin!

Don't get me wrong, I loved Oklahoma - just not their liquor laws.

This is America dammit, and I'll blame whomever I want! :mad:

And before loop chimes in here...I'm already relaxed, and I've already had more than one brew, thank you very much. :D

3.2 beer - that brings back memories! The only way you could get a buzz from it was to talk yourself into one! It was always funny watching someone who was used to it drink a more "full bodied" beer. Kind of like what happens when someone who is used to Bud/Miller/etc drinks a German beer.

I admit to having a Coors Light every once in a while. I limit drinking actual beer until after 8:00 or 9:00 at night, so if I just cut the lawn or maybe played some basketball or took a long bike ride, and I have no lemonade, I might have a Silver Bullet. They are handy for rehydrating yourself.

Note - not that I need to explain this, but I keep them around the house because my wife likes them.

Basketball? That sounds like exercise! Let's see ..... beer and exercise. I think it's beer or exercise. You can't have both. I've worked very hard for this finely tuned body of mine. Many gallons of beer have gone into it, many hours of couch time, forced reps on the remote control!! You can't get a body like this by working out!! It takes dedication and a complete disregard for the laws of general nutrition. If you're waiting until 8 or 9 pm to start drinking, you'll probably always stay slim and fit. You might even live to be 100 ! Who wants that ? I'm sorry to be so hard on you. Maybe I've done some good, helped you see the error in your ways. Beer and exercise. What is this world coming to ? :confused:

sudsmonkey said:
Basketball? That sounds like exercise! Let's see ..... beer and exercise. I think it's beer or exercise. You can't have both.
An no you've got it all wrong. Exercise and then have a beer. It'll only take one or two then, cos you absorb it straight away. That way your batch of brew lasts MUCH longer!

Back