Idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffman

Reaction score
I'm an idiot. I'm brewing a pumpkin ale today, while also trying to get some work (for work) done. I was planning to fly sparge after mashing out. Not thinking, I dumped the entire mashout water onto the grains - not slowly or onto anything to protect the grainbed. Not a drop of wort would come out. I totally eff'd up the grainbed, even getting some grain in the short tube between my false bottom and the ball valve.

To salvage the brew, I had to dump the mash through a large strainer bag and sparge the grains through that. It'll probably be fine, but certainly not as efficient as I like. That's what I get for not paying attention. Lessons learned.

I've heard of taking compressed air and shooting it through your ball valve, thus pushing the clogged grain back into the MLT.

I've heard of taking compressed air and shooting it through your ball valve, thus pushing the clogged grain back into the MLT.

I did this except it was my own air blowing up the tube and making bubbles in the mash tun. Haven't had it happen in a few batches so something has changed because it use to happen on every batch and I was use to it.

I tried blowing it out several times (between curses, that is) with no success.

I'm an idiot. I'm brewing a pumpkin ale today, while also trying to get some work (for work) done. I was planning to fly sparge after mashing out. Not thinking, I dumped the entire mashout water onto the grains - not slowly or onto anything to protect the grainbed. Not a drop of wort would come out. I totally eff'd up the grainbed, even getting some grain in the short tube between my false bottom and the ball valve.

To salvage the brew, I had to dump the mash through a large strainer bag and sparge the grains through that. It'll probably be fine, but certainly not as efficient as I like. That's what I get for not paying attention. Lessons learned.

I did the same exact thing with my very first AG that was a Pumpkin Spice Ale as well. Mine was a disaster but I can laugh about it now. I did not dump it right away but after 6 months it still sucked so I had to toss it. I batch Sparged in a round cooler. Now that I have my Coleman Extreme 70qt I have no problems. I do want to try fly sparging one of these days.

Back