first batch... Apparent slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millermeter22

Reaction score
My first batch of ironmaster northern brown ale has been fermenting in carboy primary for 2 weeks. Og 1.059 showed strong fermentation after about 16 hrs. Sg right now is 1.032. Getting airlock bubble about every 15 secs. Still at the point where I should just sit back and let it do it's thing?

The rate of airlcok bubbling, lack of airlock bubbling or airlock bubbling in general really means nothing except that co2 is being vented and the top of the fermentor will not explode spewing your beer all over the plce...It is NOT any type of a gauge.

Some bubble fast, some bubble slow, some never bubble, some people don't use airlocks....and yet the yeasties do their thing and beer is made, that's all that matters.

So, get out of the idea of using "airlock bubbling" as a sign of fermentation, you have to realize that airlock activity is not an accurate indication of fermentation...an airlock is a vent for excess co2, nothing more...and half of my beers never bubble.

Read this for why arilock analysing is useless, adn what is the only gauge of ferementation...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1217925-post3.html

Everything is fine.....:D

Stepaway_copy.jpg

The other part of the equation is that if it's at 1.032 after two weeks, you might want to give it a swirl to re-rouse the yeast. They still got work to do....

A lot of us leave our beer in primary for 3-4 weeks and skip secondary, so you don't need to rush it off the yeast....but you might want to kick them up a bit..Just a gentle swirl aughta do it.

When swirling do I need soMething long enough that will get down into the cake. I don't think I have anything that will reach the bottom of the carboy. Or will swirling like 1/2 to 2/3 bring the yeast back into action.

When swirling do I need soMething long enough that will get down into the cake. I don't think I have anything that will reach the bottom of the carboy. Or will swirling like 1/2 to 2/3 bring the yeast back into action.

No No No, I didn't say STIR, I said, swirl....Swirl the fermentor around gently. If it is a carboy, hold the neck, lift it on one point and rotate it once...in a bucket, do the same thing, lean it a rotate it once....

so I swirled the carboy. here it is a week and a half later and the sg is 1.024 after adjusting for temperature. I will take another sg reading in a few days to see how far it has moved by then but am just curious as to what next steps would be. If still 1.024 after the next 3 days and I botted, i'm assuming I would get bottle bombs. No? Should I just give it another swirl and more time. I'm at 3.5 weeks in primary right now. Thanks for your help.

What was the yeast in that kit? Your gravity is still high and I'm wondering if your yeast has crapped out. Bottle bombs are a possibility, OTOH, if your yeast crapped out you are not going to get carbonation in your bottles.

Do you have any other yeast you can pitch? I've never been a believer in re-pitching and have only done it once in over 100 batches but I think yours might be a candidate.

You have been incredibly patient for your first batch! Please believe me when I say this is NOT how they usually go.

I was thinking the same thing as Nurmey. I have only repitched once, with no problems. If you do repitch, I'd reccomend a dry yeast.

Also, was the yeast a liquid or dry? If liquid, I recommend making a starter a few days before brew day.

the yeast was a Wyeast 1338 Euro Ale liquid yeast. Didn't know about the starter thing with liquid yeasts until after I had already pitched (read it the following day). the LHBS owner said it would provide a better taste to the beer than the yeast in the kit. I still have the dry yeast packets from the kit. I threw them in the freezer at the suggestion of the LHBS owner in order to keep as a back up for future brews. I'm thinking I might not have oxygenated the beer enough just before pitching, along with underpitching due to the lack of a starter.

Just a note...I could see tiny bubbles coming up from the bottom in the beer that was in my tube needed to do the hydrometer testing today.

With the dry yeast coming out of the freezer, how should I rehydrate them if I were to repitch.

Some dry yeasts say to rehydrate, but I've never done that. You can just pitch into the wort as is. I wouldn't oxygenate at this point.

Also, just use one packet. I think that the gravity is low enough that you just need a little boost to finish off.

Under aerating was something that came to my mind too but the deed is done.

I would rehydrate the dry yeast in a cup of warm water. I pour the yeast in the water and just let it sit there for 15 - 20 minutes. Right before I pitch I give it a stir. Remember to sanitize the cup and spoon and if you are using tap water, boil it and let it cool before using.

Back