My Hefe is now 4 weeks old, and still in the primary. Now it looks brown..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I highly doubt all of your yeast is on the bottom. Is it perfectly clear? It should be fine to keg now, and if you're not too careful, you will kick up some yeast when siphoning into the keg. Got any Pics?

I usually leave mine in the fermenter for a month and then rack to a keg. It should be fine. I think my Hefes taste the best from 4-7 weeks old. So get drinknin'......

Over time, the beer clears and gets darker. There will still be plenty of yeast in solution. What kind of yeast did you use? Unless you used something like WL002 or s-04, there will still be millions of yeast per milliliter.

My Heff kit came with S-04.... So do you recommend something else? and if so Why?

Cheers!

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I used a dry yeast that was recommended for the kit. Don't flame me, I know the whole idea of Hefe's are the yeast character, but I cannot lie I went dry!

The yeast is on the bottom. Is it ok to keg it as is? How do I get the yest back in without messin it up?

If it is too clear, simply siphon a little yeast into the keg along with the liquid, and shake up the keg from time to time to re-suspend the yeast. Adding a teaspoon of flour also helps preserve the hazy character that many wheat beers are supposed to have.

Back