I'm looking to make a Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I'm going to make an experimental batch of Rye IPA, so I'm now starting to formulate a recipe. I have about 14 lbs of Rye so I thought I would use a couple and make a batch. Here's what hops I have to work with.

Amarillo
Warrior
Chinook
Cascade
Tettnanger
Northern Brewer
Perle
Centennial

I figure on Pale for base, a couple pounds of rye, a pound of wheat, some crystal 20L, and maybe some vienna (since I have it).

Any suggestions on a hop bill?

EdWort said:
I'm going to make an experimental batch of Rye IPA, so I'm now starting to formulate a recipe. I have about 14 lbs of Rye so I thought I would use a couple and make a batch. Here's what hops I have to work with.

Amarillo
Warrior
Chinook
Cascade
Tettnanger
Northern Brewer
Perle
Centennial

I figure on Pale for base, a couple pounds of rye, a pound of wheat, some crystal 20L, and maybe some vienna (since I have it).

What do you think about a butt load of Cent and Cascade? Or would that be to generic to what you want?

I would like to use some of my Amarillo, Cascade or Chinook. Inventory is good on those.

I've looked at Denny's, but don't have any Columbus.

Are you going for a big hop flavor and aroma? Or do you want some of the rye coming through?

The first thing that comes to mind is the three C's. But that is too "been done". But I do love the flavor combination. Especially dry hopping with Cascade and Centenial.

EdWort said:
I would like to use some of my Amarillo, Cascade or Chinook. Inventory is good on those.

But you have chinook, which you could sub. I would just use his grain bill and make whatever hop subs you want.

Here's my recipe as well, although the hopping would be different.

I like the Magnum (use the Warrior) bittering. Super neutral, you really want the spice from the rye to help contribute to the perceived bitterness. In this regard, I would try to limit late-hopping, but don't exclude it entirely. You do want some floral notes in there. I'm an Amarillo whore, so dry-hopping with those I really enjoyed.

If I had to change my recipe up, I'd exclude the English hops...they don't come through. Keep us posted on what you come up with.

EdWort said:

Amarillo
Warrior
Chinook
Cascade
Tettnanger
Northern Brewer
Perle
Centennial

I'm thinking 1 ounce of Chinook for bittering, .75 ounces of Cascade for flavor and another .5 or .75 of Cascade for aroma. Just one idea. I'm trying to think what'd compliment the flavor of the rye. Maybe get some Warrior involved on this as well. Finally, maybe some Tettnanger would do a nice job for aroma or flavoring...a 50/50 mix with the Cascade. Heh, RyePA.

I was trying to make a Rye Imperial IPA along the lines of Bittersweet Lenny's. Unfortunately I ended up with horrendous efficiency so the end result is a nice non-imperial Rye IPA. Here was the recipe I followed for a 5 gallon batch:

12lbs 2-row
5lbs flaked rye
1lb of raw unmalted red wheat
1lb of Biscuit (maybe less)
and some Crystal for color and sweetness to balance the hops.

Hopping will be a three-pronged attack with 4oz each of Centennial, Cascade and Amarillo

It is very tasty!

IIRC, I used one ounce of each for additions at 60, 15, 5, then 2 weeks of dry-hopping

I like spicier or more floral hops with my ryes, si would go with the Tetnnanger, Perle, or Northern Brewer. However, if you are trying to work with what you have a lot of, those C hops and Amarillo do work well.

TL

EdWort said:

Lately I've been doing all my beer(most) with
FWH with a variety I like the flavor of
60 min bittering
10 min flavor
0 min steeping
DH

so for your beer I would
FWH Amarillo and Chinook
60 Whatever has highest AA%
10 Blend of the 3
0 cool to 180 steep a blend of the 3 or just cascade for 30 min
DH blend of the 3

then try to keep IBU's balanced with the OG

For my two cents, Amarillo is like bacon. Itsa good witha everything! I almost always dry hop my IPA's with it.

I looked up Red Hook Rye online and found that they use Hersbucker and Mt Hood in their version-obviously neither was in your list but maybe you could get away with Tettnanger/Cascade for a similiar effect.

1 oz Chinook 13% 60 min
.5 oz Chinook 13% 45 min
1 oz Cascade 5% 30 min
.5 oz Cascade 5% 15 min
.5 oz amarillo 10% 5 min
.25 oz amarillo 10% dry hop

how does this look?

I am planning an extract rye IPA as my next (5th) batch...

7.5 lbs Pale LME
1 lb Amber DME
1 lb Crystal 120
1 lb Flaked Rye

Steep Crystal and Rye at 155 for 30 - 60 minutes

Havent 100% decided on the hop schedule yet, but I plan on using 2oz Columbus and 2oz Cascade. Was thinking:

1oz Columbus @ 60
1oz Columbus @ 20
1oz Cascade @ 10
1oz Cascade @ 1

Any thoughts on the above? Feedback appreciated.

1 oz Amarillo 10% 60 min
.5 oz Amarillo 10% 45 min
.5 oz Amarillo 10% 30 min
.5 oz Amaillo 10% 15 min
1 oz Cascade 5% 5 min
.25 oz Chinook 13% dry hop
.5 oz Cascade 5% Dry Hop

TexLaw said:
I like spicier or more floral hops with my ryes, si would go with the Tetnnanger, Perle, or Northern Brewer. However, if you are trying to work with what you have a lot of, those C hops and Amarillo do work well.

TL

I second that. I recently made one with Summit and Simcoe. It works swell. The Amarillo and Cascade would be very similar.

s3n8 said:
I am planning an extract rye IPA as my next (5th) batch...

7.5 lbs Pale LME
1 lb Amber DME
1 lb Crystal 120
1 lb Flaked Rye

Steep Crystal and Rye at 155 for 30 - 60 minutes

Havent 100% decided on the hop schedule yet, but I plan on using 2oz Columbus and 2oz Cascade. Was thinking:

1oz Columbus @ 60
1oz Columbus @ 20
1oz Cascade @ 10
1oz Cascade @ 1

Any thoughts on the above? Feedback appreciated.

I use the Colombus/Cascade combo in my APA and love it. That 2 oz of Colombus might be a little too much, verify your IBU. I'd personally keep the flavor addition down to the 1/2 oz level and up the Cascade to compensate.

EdWort said:

Here's what I did about 4 weeks ago:

Rye Not? India Pale Ale

[5-Gallon Batch]
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 8.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 53.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

1.00 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 5.9 %
10.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 58.8 %
2.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
1.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8.8 %
1.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 8.8 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %

0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.50%] (90 min) (FiHops 23.0 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.50%] (40 min) Hops 17.2 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (20 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
1.00 oz Summit [16.50%] (1 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Hops -

1.00 oz Centennial [9.50%] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Summit [16.50%] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops

During the second week of dry hopping, I added 1 ounce of oak chips. Smells fantastic. I plan to leave in the keg for 1-2 months, then bottle and stash for another month or two.

zoebisch01 said:
I use the Colombus/Cascade combo in my APA and love it. That 2 oz of Colombus might be a little too much, verify your IBU. I'd personally keep the flavor addition down to the 1/2 oz level and up the Cascade to compensate.

But they come in 2 oz bags, so I feel obligated :)

I thought about mixing 1oz of columbus in with the 2 oz cascade and doing a DFH style continuous hop over the last 20 minutes.

I'm thinking:
Amarillo (FWH) 15 IBU
Chinook (60 min) 35 IBU
Perle (30 min) 16 IBU
Perle (10 min) 8 IBU
Perle (0 min)
Amarillo (Dry Hop 21 days)

Very similar to my Imperial Rye IPA!

EdWort said:
Amarillo
Warrior
Chinook
Cascade
Tettnanger
Northern Brewer
Perle
Centennial

I like spicy with rye. A little black pepper, maybe I'll read some old BrewPastor threads to get some chili pepper ideas next time.

By all means look over First Wort Hop recipe biermuncher has in the recipe section.

That said I think I love Amarillo in IPAs. I love Chinook in anything ( I wish they would make a lady's perfume out of that stuff when the shortage is over), and I would take a big whiff of the NB/ Perle next.

The Tett I personally would save for German styles, my third ever lager is in primary right now. The Cascade and Centennial I would save for APAs. I am neutral on the Warrior. I might save it for bittering to stretch "my" Cascade and Centennial.

Im thinking of going with Northern Brewer and Hallarteau. With a scaled down version of Denny's Rye Malt bill. (I have to make it fit in my cooler). So I guess that will make it more of a Rye Pale Ale not IPA.

8string said:
Im thinking of going with Northern Brewer and Hallarteau. With a scaled down version of Denny's Rye Malt bill. (I have to make it fit in my cooler). So I guess that will make it more of a Rye Pale Ale not IPA.
If your cooler is going to get cramped....you definitley want to think about tossing in a 1/2 pound of rice hulls to keep the grain bed fluffed up and prevent a stuck sparge.

BierMuncher said:
If your cooler is going to get cramped....you definitley want to think about tossing in a 1/2 pound of rice hulls to keep the grain bed fluffed up and prevent a stuck sparge.

I've only had one stuck sparge and that was when I took the "crush til you're scared" too far and had more flour than grain. And that was on a porter.
All my rye's and wheat's have been fine

Tentative recipe adjusted for 5 gallon mash tun.

"R U Red Eye" for Rye PA

9.5 lbs 2 row
1.5 lbs rye malt
1 lb crystal 60
.5 lb carapils
.5 lb wheat malt

13 lbs total.

Shouldn't have a problem with that, do you think?

Also, should I adjust the crush for rye or wheat. Ive never used rye, but had no problems with 3.5 lbs of wheat in the past.

8string said:
Tentative recipe adjusted for 5 gallon mash tun.

"R U Red Eye" for Rye PA

9.5 lbs 2 row
1.5 lbs rye malt
1 lb crystal 60
.5 lb carapils
.5 lb wheat malt

13 lbs total.

Shouldn't have a problem with that, do you think?

Also, should I adjust the crush for rye or wheat. Ive never used rye, but had no problems with 3.5 lbs of wheat in the past.
That's under 15% so you should be fine. Rye likes to be crushed up pretty good. I usually set the crush a bit finer, but I also do so with my wheat malt. If you're happy with your wheat malt crush, I wouldn't mess with it.

Just an FYI, I started using rice hulls in all my brews about 9 batches ago. Helped my efficiency by about 2-3 points so I've stuck with them. They're standard in my process now.

1oz chinook @60
1oz Chinook @45
1oz Perle @45
1oz Perle @ 30
1Oz warrior @15

thats what i'd do. those high alpha hops are great for a good hop nose. :D

Here's what I did yesterday.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Amber Rye PA (4/5/08)
Brewer: CBBaron
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 12.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 85.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 68.00 %
2 lbs Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.00 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 52.9 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (30 min) (Hops 16.0 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (12 min) Hops 7.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (12 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (2 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (2 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle US Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

I didn't get a stuck sparge but it was real slow. I think I'll try using some rice hulls in future batches, especially if it includes flaked grains.
My volume was low by 1/2 gal and my efficiency was off by 5% which I suspect was because more wort was left in the grains than normal. Still my target gravity was nearly spot on.

Just my take on a RyePA.

Craig

"R U Red Eye" for Rye PA

9.75 lbs 2 row
1.5 lbs rye malt
1 lb crystal 60
.5 lb carapils
.5 lb wheat malt

Ive got a super slow sparge right now with the above grain bill. Will definitely use rice hulls next time. I just hope it doesn't get stuck.

8string said:
...Ive got a super slow sparge right now with the above grain bill. Will definitely use rice hulls next time. I just hope it doesn't get stuck.
I'm tellingyou. Since I started tossing in a 1/2 pound of rice hulls in all my batches...I'm a happy brewer.

Yep... it does.

The following rest helps:

Beta Glucanase / gum breaking rest. 95-113°F

EDIT: Fixed botched post. Also, rye malt is harder to get your hands on and like wheat I think more flavor is imparted my unmlated rye.

OK, Here's what I'm going to do.

I'm going to make a Haus Rye by adding 2# of malted rye to my Haus Ale grain bill and add 1 oz. of Cascade as dry hopped and the first oz. as FWH.

Back