SMASH Schlafly TIPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scsnyder2s

Reaction score
I'm looking into doing a somewhat clone of the Schlafly TIPA with Galaxy hops, I know the recipe is Pale 2-row and galaxy hops. I was hoping for some input on malt lbs and amount of hops to use. Shooting for a gravity around 1060 and IBU around 65. Hop addition at 60, 30, 5, and DH. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Download a free trial of beersmith, it will help u calculate all your amounts for recipes. As far as hopping goes I wouldn't suggest using such a nice hop as galaxy for ur 60 or 30 min addition as you'll be wasting the volatile flavor and aroma properties. You can either use a clean bittering hop such as magnum or do what I like to which is skip your early additions all together and go heavy handed from 15min on

use around 12# 2row and 1/2 lb of Galaxy, fwh , 30 , big hop burst at 15 min, then an aroma steep plus 1 week of dryhopping. use us-05 for your yeast and it should work out, i will be brewing this year round for myself and a couple friends.

use around 12# 2row and 1/2 lb of Galaxy, fwh , 30 , big hop burst at 15 min, then an aroma steep plus 1 week of dryhopping. use us-05 for your yeast and it should work out, i will be brewing this year round for myself and a couple friends.

That sounds pretty damn good to me. I have a Galaxy Pale ale recipe I came up with that is one of my favorite beers. Gonna be running to the store for that again soon. Galaxy are great!!! You could easily use another hop for bittering and then use galaxy 15-0 to save some money and some galaxy hops for the rest of us!

inhousebrew said:
That sounds pretty damn good to me. I have a Galaxy Pale ale recipe I came up with that is one of my favorite beers. Gonna be running to the store for that again soon. Galaxy are great!!! You could easily use another hop for bittering and then use galaxy 15-0 to save some money and some galaxy hops for the rest of us!

I'd have to do one batch with just galaxy though and then maybe one with either magnum or warrior as the fwh/30 min addition and brew them on the same day so I could do a side by side. I have a Nelson smash planned too, I have way too many beers to brew and not enough time to do it.

Bringing up a stalled thread. I absolutely love this beer and was curious of anyone's results and final recipe. Thanks!

This is my attempt at cloning Schlafly's TIPA. I have all the ingredients, however, there are 3 beers that I have scheduled to brew prior to this one. I should have my results back to this forum within a couple of months.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP051
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.071
Final Gravity: 1.017
IBU: 65
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4.6

14lbs 2-Row
Mash at 151-152

0.65oz Warrior (16.7%) @ 60min